Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
yes i cant believe it myself until i read this article....

13245_ipodvendingmachine00001_qjgenth.jpg

This machines can be found at the Las Vegas Hilton, San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco Argent Hotel, and the Hartsfield Atlanta Airport.

So thats why i never seen it cause never been to those places....lol...

I wonder how the ipods comes out of the machine? are they like those vending machines of coca cola? Anyone who have or had seenb it can you enlighten me please...:confused:

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Yeah, I've seen them in a few airports now. I think someone on this forum even took a picture of an airport vending machine that had Mac Mini's in it. Can't remember who or when though.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I saw a pic of one of these in Macworld last month, "We dont carry MP3 Players from four different makers, we decided that from a digital music stand-point, Apple is the best" Zoom CEO Gower Smith. There are 130 of these things in malls, hotels, etc.. they hope to have 10,000 stores in the next 5 years Pretty cool

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I like them. I can't remember if I saw this on digg.com or if it was Macworld (probably the latter). Still, I hope it works out for the company.

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
We also have one in the Ladera Ranch, CA Pavilions... I've never seen someone buy something, but it's nice to know that I can run out at 10 pm and buy that emergency iPod I need...

DCapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
i cant believe im so not updated...i wish to see one...we dont have it here in Singapore..:eek:

crazyfortech

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2005
I think, I'm pretty sure I saw one in the Atlanta Airport, but I'm not sure, I think they were, respectively the same price they are now

eoin3

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
So what if your ipod gets hung up like a bag of chips in the vending machine? You know...about to drop but dangling there, just out of reach. You shake and kick the infernal machine. No luck. It won't budge. Then, when you go to try to find an attendent the next person comes along...sees your ipod hanging there...buys one of their own and get's a bonus Ipod!!... you then come back, all in a huff, with a slack-jawed attendant in tow and .....nothing...no hanging ipod...no evidence that your ipod was ever there... just you..OUT $400!

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
eoin3 said:
So what if your ipod gets hung up like a bag of chips in the vending machine? You know...about to drop but dangling there, just out of reach. You shake and kick the infernal machine. No luck. It won't budge. Then, when you go to try to find an attendent the next person comes along...sees your ipod hanging there...buys one of their own and get's a bonus Ipod!!... you then come back, all in a huff, with a slack-jawed attendant in tow and .....nothing...no hanging ipod...no evidence that your ipod was ever there... just you..OUT $400!

I think I'd just put my head between my knees and howl like a baby :D

Especially if they bought a 30 and got your 60 for nuthin'

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
huck500 said:
I've never seen someone buy something, but it's nice to know that I can run out at 10 pm and buy that emergency iPod I need...
No iPod vending machines here in Japan, but if I do need to buy my emergency iPod I can just run to the 7/11 just around the corner. Nano's, 5G's, cases, and iTunes cards! All available 24 hours a day!!!

Edit: No iPod vending machines here in Japan that I have seen.

DCapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Kingsly said:
Its actually pretty cool to see it in action... a robotic arm picks up the iPod and drops it in a hopper for retrieval.

how high do you think it is drop? Is it high enough to have damages upon retrieval even its inside a box....:confused: :confused: :confused:

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Has anyone here actually bought an iPod from one of these machines?
It makes sense in a place like an airport where people have to stay inside and maybe they forgot their iPod. Talk about an impulse purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.