Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 1, 2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Wano
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Wano
15" Powerbook upgrades

The last cpu upgrade for the powerbooks was in november, and then there was the case with bluetooth, airport extreme, and firewire 2 on the 17" and 12". If apple still keeps it cpu upgrade timeframe do you guys think that they might upgrade the cpu when they upgrade the 15" to aluminium, sometime in may?
Wano is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 12:21 AM   #2
benixau
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to benixau
alot of people are waiting to get an upgraded pbook 15". although, there are several rumors (amazing, here!!) floating around asa to why they wont just yet:
-Apple Stores have alot of TiBook stock
-Could hurt 17" sales
-They cant be bothered after just updating them and releasing new powerbooks.

oh well. i want t 15" powerbook no matter what features they have. i dont need airport, fwire 800, btooth, lit up kb.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 01:05 AM   #3
cr2sh
macrumors 68030

There is still a crowd who want the os9 boot ability.. for them Apple still has an answer. There is no doubt though that apple has stacked the cards in favor of a 17". Bluetooth, FW800, AP-X, and the like... I think we'll see it by May at latest, but thats just my gut feeling.

MBP (early' 11/2.2/16GB/500GB/hi-res-ag)
cr2sh is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 01:31 AM   #4
occam
macrumors member

PB15 == MacOS9

One hypothesis is that Apple will not update the PB15 but will keep it until June when they phase out the MacOS9 backward compatibility. If this hypothesis is true, everyone waiting can thank Quark (any others?) for the delayed introduction. If the delay is that long, I may not buy until next year since it'll be due for 970 by then. I don't see Apple continuing the staggered introductions indefinitely since that seems silly (one or the other of the powerbooks would always be a poor man's PB). It'll be interesting to see if this hypothesis becomes truth.

OTOH, I just wish Apple would start making it simple to buy their stuff by just producing the goods and getting on with upgrades. The delayed introduction of the new PB15 is just annoying and mystifying to those who need and want the upgraded features (but do not necessarily want to wait a full year for a 970 upgrade if they could get an upgraded PB15 now).
occam is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 05:54 PM   #5
DHagan4755
macrumors 6502a

According to the MacWhisper's guy (Powerjack), he posted a thread in their forums stating that the 15.4-inch model is due in mere days. Here's the link to that thread:

http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthr...threadid=15553
DHagan4755 is online now   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 07:04 PM   #6
movmkr
macrumors newbie

I'm going crazy waiting for the updated 15"

I've been looking at the Powerbooks for over a year now and just today I sold my car which gives me the money to go buy one. And now I have to wait. I hope they're not going to sit on this all the way till summer so they can update the line all at once. Just a nice quite little update, tucked in somewhere in the middle of the PowerMac updates or the iMac updates...

Before anyone says "do you really need this or that" let me say yes I do, so don't bother.

That thread was very interesting, I hope the bit about "any day now" is true. I also think that guy with the fetal position and the coma had the right idea...

Take care all - Matt
movmkr is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers