Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 1, 2003, 11:48 PM   #1
macrumors 6502
Join Date: Oct 2002
Send a message via AIM to Wano
15" Powerbook upgrades

The last cpu upgrade for the powerbooks was in november, and then there was the case with bluetooth, airport extreme, and firewire 2 on the 17" and 12". If apple still keeps it cpu upgrade timeframe do you guys think that they might upgrade the cpu when they upgrade the 15" to aluminium, sometime in may?
Wano is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 12:21 AM   #2
macrumors 65816
benixau's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via AIM to benixau
alot of people are waiting to get an upgraded pbook 15". although, there are several rumors (amazing, here!!) floating around asa to why they wont just yet:
-Apple Stores have alot of TiBook stock
-Could hurt 17" sales
-They cant be bothered after just updating them and releasing new powerbooks.

oh well. i want t 15" powerbook no matter what features they have. i dont need airport, fwire 800, btooth, lit up kb.
Rather own a Mac than a Dell
benixau is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 01:05 AM   #3
macrumors 68030
cr2sh's Avatar
Join Date: May 2002
Location: downtown
There is still a crowd who want the os9 boot ability.. for them Apple still has an answer. There is no doubt though that apple has stacked the cards in favor of a 17". Bluetooth, FW800, AP-X, and the like... I think we'll see it by May at latest, but thats just my gut feeling.

MBP (early' 11/2.2/16GB/500GB/hi-res-ag)
cr2sh is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 01:31 AM   #4
macrumors member
Join Date: Jan 2003
PB15 == MacOS9

One hypothesis is that Apple will not update the PB15 but will keep it until June when they phase out the MacOS9 backward compatibility. If this hypothesis is true, everyone waiting can thank Quark (any others?) for the delayed introduction. If the delay is that long, I may not buy until next year since it'll be due for 970 by then. I don't see Apple continuing the staggered introductions indefinitely since that seems silly (one or the other of the powerbooks would always be a poor man's PB). It'll be interesting to see if this hypothesis becomes truth.

OTOH, I just wish Apple would start making it simple to buy their stuff by just producing the goods and getting on with upgrades. The delayed introduction of the new PB15 is just annoying and mystifying to those who need and want the upgraded features (but do not necessarily want to wait a full year for a 970 upgrade if they could get an upgraded PB15 now).
occam is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 05:54 PM   #5
macrumors 6502a
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Massachusetts
According to the MacWhisper's guy (Powerjack), he posted a thread in their forums stating that the 15.4-inch model is due in mere days. Here's the link to that thread:

DHagan4755 is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 07:04 PM   #6
macrumors newbie
Join Date: Jul 2002
I'm going crazy waiting for the updated 15"

I've been looking at the Powerbooks for over a year now and just today I sold my car which gives me the money to go buy one. And now I have to wait. I hope they're not going to sit on this all the way till summer so they can update the line all at once. Just a nice quite little update, tucked in somewhere in the middle of the PowerMac updates or the iMac updates...

Before anyone says "do you really need this or that" let me say yes I do, so don't bother.

That thread was very interesting, I hope the bit about "any day now" is true. I also think that guy with the fetal position and the coma had the right idea...

Take care all - Matt
movmkr is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sprint intros new "Framily" Rate Plans ($45 unlim. everything + yearly upgrades) AutoUnion39 iPhone 0 Jan 7, 2014 05:50 PM
The PowerBook Project: upgrades J.Appleseed PowerPC Macs 15 Sep 13, 2013 02:59 PM
iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime "setup" on iOS upgrades Brien iOS 6 4 Feb 12, 2013 10:57 PM
27" upgrades? veryevilash iMac 5 Nov 12, 2012 11:41 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC