Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:56 AM   #1
JD92
macrumors 6502a
 
JD92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
iBook G4 or wait for MacBook?

Hey guys, me again!

Basically, I'm really wanting this Apple event on April 1st to come faster, because I really want Apple to anounce just MacBook.
Theres been a change of plan since my last post, so now im looking to spend upto 750.
I was looking at the iBook G4 which is 699, and I was wondering, if they don't announce a MacBook on April 1st, should I just go for the iBook, or should I keep waiting?
If they do announce the MacBook, I was just looking for some speculation on the following:
1. Will there be an increase in price like there was when Mac Mini went Intel?
2. MacBook Pro took a while to come out after they announced it, dyou think it'll be the same for a MacBook?

Thanks alot,
Jackster
JD92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:57 AM   #2
macpastor
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
My opinion, it would be worth the wait. The speed increase alone would be worth the wait. I think if you get an iBook, and then the MacBook comes out you will kick yourself for doing it.
macpastor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:11 PM   #3
xyian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: PDX
I would wait it out. It should not be long before the Macbook comes out. Apple wants to get as many people who are frustrated with Windows to switch. Especially with the advent of the security issues with Vista, Apple will probably start to pull out the switch campaign again. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Macbook tomorrow.
Plus, the Macbook is going to make the iBooks look very dated(which they already are). I'm waiting as well.
xyian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:38 PM   #4
n-abounds
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
The iBook G4 is an absolutely great computer, I love mine.
But I'd wait for a Macbook Novice because the iBooks are outdated, and guaranteed, the new ones will be out shortly. You'll be ready for the future with Intel, and it will have all-around better specs. Wait it out, I'm sure new ones will come in April.
I don't think Apple can afford not to have their new Macbooks shipping in time for the educational buying season. If Apple does make it, there probably will be high demand anyways, so order early.
n-abounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:48 PM   #5
timswim78
macrumors 6502a
 
timswim78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
I agree with everyone who says to wait.

The iBook G4 is a bit of a dog.
__________________
Have a nice day!
timswim78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:49 PM   #6
Demon Hunter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I also agree, the iBook G4 leaves much to be desired. I'd wait for an increase in the screen resolution/brightness alone. If you ever plan on reselling, MacBook should be a much better "investment."
Demon Hunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 01:00 PM   #7
Mord
macrumors G4
 
Mord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Old York
just wait, it's like a few days, the macbooks worth lies on it's graphics card, and i highly suspect we'll be seeing GMA950, if it's an x1300 i'll be happy, anything less and i wont be.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 01:04 PM   #8
MUCKYFINGERS
macrumors 6502a
 
MUCKYFINGERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
at this point in time i'd wait for the macbook
__________________
2010 13" MBP 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo; iPhone 5 16 GB
Retired: iPhone 3GS, iBook G4 1.42
MUCKYFINGERS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 01:21 PM   #9
MacSA
macrumors 68000
 
MacSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: UK
But the romour sites speculated that we would see a MacBook at a 30th Anniversary event..but it looks increasingly unlikely that nothing is being planned now. I should also point out that rumour sites were almost certain we would see an Intle Mini at MWSF and iPod shuffle updates. I think they got it totally wrong in the end.
MacSA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 01:59 PM   #10
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
I love my ibook G4, but I'd wait. Hopefully the macbook will see a brighter/higher res screen, DVI, remote/frontrow, isight/photobooth, and of course a faster processor.
__________________
"If Jesus Himself came back to earth and turned water to wine, half of MacRumors would say 'meh, this is red. I wanted white.'"
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:29 PM   #11
zack.williams
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Italy
Send a message via MSN to zack.williams
i too am waiting for the macbook..i am debating the same thing...iBook or MacBook...i am still waiting...please this weekend!
__________________
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1GB RAM 100GB HD
60GB iPod Video
zack.williams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:31 PM   #12
galstaph
macrumors 6502a
 
galstaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Great White North Eh
I love my g4 as well, but seeing as how the macbook should come soon... I'd wait and see.
__________________
32gb ipt4g; early '09 17" 2.66Ghz umbp; '09 Mac Pro 2.26 octad
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni
galstaph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 04:21 PM   #13
bill4588
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kennesaw, GA
well there doesnt have to be a big event for apple to release something new. they could just quietly release it....but that would be a shame cuz it's their 30th birthday!! how can you not celebrate that?
bill4588 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:40 PM   #14
mwidjaya
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Wait...

I say wait for Macbook. No point getting in with a G4 chip at this point. It should be out soon, latest Jul06.

Besides, when Macmini went intel, prices did not go up. You would have paid the same amount once you option in the bluetooth and airport express.
mwidjaya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:59 AM   #15
crazydrumma
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Send a message via AIM to crazydrumma
wait

Tomorrow is April 1st, and the macbooks are going to be so much better than the iBooks, so why not wait? I doubt that there will be a price increase, and it will be a lot faster. I say wait, you won't regret it.
__________________
Love God, Love others.
- 15" macbook pro, 2.5 ghz, 2 gb RAM, 250 gb HD | 8gb iPhone 3g
http://benjaminkrogh.carbonmade.com
crazydrumma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:50 AM   #16
w8ing4intelmacs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: East Coast, US
Of course, last year, everyone speculated that the iBook would be updated at WWDC (in May), but it didn't get updated until late July. If it doesn't debut 4/1, you may be waiting a few months.

Ah, the price you pay to have the latest and greatest.
w8ing4intelmacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:24 AM   #17
shadowmoses
macrumors 68000
 
shadowmoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
I'm pretty sure we'll see the new MacBooks in the next few weeks, therefore its definatly worth the wait, iBook G4's are getting outdated and as mentioned before a MacBook will be a far better investment, in regards it will hold more value,

Shadow
shadowmoses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:26 AM   #18
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
the current ibook G4's have been out since last july, and we know that there are chips (the core solos and duos used in the mini) that will work in the new macbooks. I seriously doubt apple will wait more than a couple more weeks to release the macbook; there's just no reason to.
__________________
"If Jesus Himself came back to earth and turned water to wine, half of MacRumors would say 'meh, this is red. I wanted white.'"
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:26 AM   #19
FF_productions
macrumors 68030
 
FF_productions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Send a message via AIM to FF_productions Send a message via Skype™ to FF_productions
Wait for the MacBooks or else you will post a thread saying
"I bought an iBook and the MacBook just came out, I'm screwed".
__________________
Home: Mac Pro, Quad 2.66
Work: Mac Pro, 12 Core
FF_productions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:01 PM   #20
thehype31
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
I found myself in the same situation, having a need for a small laptop, but not wanting/being able to wait it out... so i jumped on a refurbished 12 inch ibook G4 last week for 799... I figure even if the new intel small laptop comes out, a new ibook for 799 isn't too bad of a deal with the high resale value of macs, and the ibook will serve my needs just fine... So I guess it depends on what you need it for/ are you willing to wait- refurbished is always the way to go too!
thehype31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:42 PM   #21
JD92
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
JD92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
damn, that was a really dumb question I asked, of course I should wait for the Intel one

Although it wouldn't matter, because by the time I have enough the iBook will be long discontinued
JD92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:48 PM   #22
Demon Hunter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehype31
I figure even if the new intel small laptop comes out, a new ibook for 799 isn't too bad of a deal with the high resale value of macs, and the ibook will serve my needs just fine...
But the Mac resale axiom has been thrown out. Who would buy a PowerPC in 1-2 years?

Hopefully, Intel will reverse what it's done...
Demon Hunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:50 PM   #23
After G
macrumors 68000
 
After G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to After G Send a message via Yahoo to After G
Wait. The iBook I'm using right now is a turtle. I wouldn't wish a G4 on anybody.

To answer your questions:
1) Yes
2) No
After G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:17 PM   #24
thehype31
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dferrara
But the Mac resale axiom has been thrown out. Who would buy a PowerPC in 1-2 years?

Hopefully, Intel will reverse what it's done...
All I was simply saying is that buying an ibook now if he has the need for it is worth it as long as it suits his needs... Afterall, after an announcement(which who knows when it will happen... April or June?) there is another month or so wait before the Macbook will be readily available... so if he needs it now, it is not a bad purchase
thehype31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I wait for new MacBook Pro? EGamComp MacBook Pro 19 Apr 4, 2014 01:42 AM
MacBook Pro now or wait Rlumyou56 MacBook Pro 6 Jul 17, 2013 12:09 PM
should i get 13 macbook air or wait for 13 retina macbook pro xxcysxx MacBook Pro 9 Sep 12, 2012 07:36 AM
Wait for the new macbook or buy a macbook air hunsor MacBook Air 3 Jul 30, 2012 08:51 PM
Should I get a Macbook now or wait for the new one? chanyitian MacBook Pro 36 Jun 5, 2012 10:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC