Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:53 AM   #1
princealfie
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to princealfie
Why is VLC less choppy than Quicktime?

I was wondering why VLC can decode video more "efficiently" than Quicktime does? For example, on the clamshell iBook, VLC can render FMV very well whereas Quicktime can't keep up and shudders. I wonder why?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:01 PM   #2
shadowmoses
macrumors 68000

I have always wondered this as well, I assume its to do with the fact that VLC is bloat free and does the decoding with no nonsense, unlike quicktime which runs a snazzy interface etc...

Anyway if anyone knows the real reason behind this i'd also love to know,

ShadoW
shadowmoses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
quigleybc
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Skype™ to quigleybc
Me too...why is that??

It annoys me when I buy something (QT pro) and then a free program comes along and is much better overall...

QT pro is not a total bust, it does many things that I love that no freeware program can do.

But it drives me nuts how many things won't play in QT, "quicktime requires some software for this file to work" warning...and then it takes you to a page with a ton of codecs...ummmm....which friggin one?

I just demuxed a video yesterday, and was excited to learn that it plays in QT now, but the video is all F'd up...but in VLC and Mplayer X it plays fine....

Annoying.

Last edited by quigleybc; Apr 7, 2006 at 12:31 AM.
quigleybc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 01:48 PM   #4
trogdor!
macrumors regular

Thats why I love VLC. Its simple, plays the video I opened, and works very quickly cause it does not do anything else. VLC is one of the greatest apps on my computer. Sorry quicktime, but VLC just plays most videos better.
trogdor! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 01:53 PM   #5
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

I'm all for VLC too.

What a gr8 piece of software. Especially since version 0.8.4a has optical Dolby 5.1 support.
Only the QuickTime HD H.264 encoded movies don't work. And those blasted WMV files.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:03 PM   #6
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

It's less choppy than QuickTime Player? Not for me. I use VLC for compatibility and the occasional screenshot but it's definitely not my preferred player.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:14 PM   #7
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

If you don't have all the codecs for QuickTime (DivX6, 3ivx, AC3, Flip4Mac etc.) and you have the preview column enabled, previewing movies is very irritating. First you get the dreaded spinning beachball, followed by the obvious "can't find codec.." message.

Now with the Intel Macs it's worse. Only the Divx6 codec is available native for QT x86.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

I am thoroughly used to QT and it's excellent user interface. And Flip 4 Mac has made it so much better (especially considering how much WMP for Mac SUCKED). I still hate the way you keep having to re-buy QT Pro though, F that. I had Pro back in version 4 or 5 and haven't bothered since.

But VLC has come through with troublesome files that QT won't play. I use both equally.

It would be nice to have one do-it-all app but I really can't complain.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 03:22 PM   #9
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8
If you don't have all the codecs for QuickTime (DivX6, 3ivx, AC3, Flip4Mac etc.) and you have the preview column enabled, previewing movies is very irritating. First you get the dreaded spinning beachball, followed by the obvious "can't find codec.." message.

Now with the Intel Macs it's worse. Only the Divx6 codec is available native for QT x86.
There are at least a couple more out there, check out this thread.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=190105

For me, the intel build of the xvid codec let me play the avi's I have.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 03:28 PM   #10
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Tnx for the link, Milo

But I am really after the audio AC3 codec. I have some movies that require this codec.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 05:50 PM   #11
TAV
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8
Tnx for the link, Milo

But I am really after the audio AC3 codec. I have some movies that require this codec.

AC3 component for intel (stereo only):

http://web.mac.com/kaicherry/iWeb/Th...B2D8B385C.html
TAV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 06:04 PM   #12
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by princealfie
I was wondering why VLC can decode video more "efficiently" than Quicktime does? For example, on the clamshell iBook, VLC can render FMV very well whereas Quicktime can't keep up and shudders. I wonder why?
I see you got your FMV on that old Tangerine iBook.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:16 AM   #13
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAV

Tnx!!!

I'll be checking that out.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:24 AM   #14
Heb1228
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Heb1228
Quote:
Mind if I try and bring this thread back to the original question? I would like to know from some of the more tech savvy among us why this seems to be the case. And why does VLC take so long to load on machines that have apple's pro application framework installed?!
Heb1228 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 02:08 AM   #15
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

I use both quicktime pro and VLC for viewing movies. I have to admit that overall, VLC is better than Quicktime, but quicktime has a better interface, and for movies that can both applications can play, I prefer opening them with quicktime.

Also, with Windows Media Components, Quicktime works better than VLC in .asf and .wmv... But that is after you have to wait for the damn thing to open the wmv or asf media.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:39 AM   #16
ke2000
macrumors member

Quote:
that was not true in Panther age. QT6.5 was efficient in decoding divx, xvid that kind of video that VLC. QT 7 has a bug that when it dropped frames(like cpu temporally over load) it became jerky for 10-20 seconds till it resume play video properly(Apple haven't solve this issue at recent updates but added more 'unwanted' feature). Additionally, if you compare cpu usage, you will notice VLC use less cpu power than QT7. I wish I can go back to panther and stick QT6, purely for better video playback experience.
ke2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 07:09 AM   #17
Mitthrawnuruodo

I think one big difference is that VLC is much more forgiving when it encounters small quirks and errors (once you've dismissed the first one) than Quick Time Player. Especially those errors that comes from too little RAM and too slow CPU (something I encounter often with my iBook G4@800 with 640 MB RAM).

One thing I find very amusing is that if you want to play a scratched DVD (which I get a lot from my public library, and which I also know is a problem with rentals) then VLC is more than happy to play DVDs that my regular DVD player freezes up from and that even Apple's software DVD player has problems with.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:55 AM   #18
squirrel77
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb1228
Mind if I try and bring this thread back to the original question? I would like to know from some of the more tech savvy among us why this seems to be the case. And why does VLC take so long to load on machines that have apple's pro application framework installed?!
im sure I have the latest version of apple's pro application framework installed and it isnt loading any slower for me, its quite nippy infact!

Looks like my hardware is lesser spec than yours too unless your using the slower machine you have!
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:04 AM   #19
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstorm
I use both quicktime pro and VLC for viewing movies. I have to admit that overall, VLC is better than Quicktime, but quicktime has a better interface, and for movies that can both applications can play, I prefer opening them with quicktime.

Also, with Windows Media Components, Quicktime works better than VLC in .asf and .wmv... But that is after you have to wait for the damn thing to open the wmv or asf media.
VLC is improving their interface in 0.85. There's a lot less need for the Controller to be open now. The 0.85 test-1 has much smoother video playback then 0.84a but the audio is flakey and doesn't always work. Then again it is a test version. I did get 4-10% less CPU usage too.

Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:41 AM   #20
princealfie
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to princealfie
Got my pirates of the carib. running on my tangy ibook... sweet motion there!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:01 PM   #21
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAV

Finally got round to cheking them out

Working mostly fine, but not always.
But a defenite must have!

Cheers!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:28 AM   #22
dayosx
macrumors newbie

Might also wanna check out MPlayerOSX. It gives you more control over filters. I like to add noise (noise=3t) to those overly-compressed single-CD AVIs so everything doesn't look all washed out and smooth. (I need texture.)
dayosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:42 AM   #23
i4k20c
macrumors 6502a

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

is that a good codec download? My friend who uses window seems to swear by it and seems pretty comprehensive..will that work well with macs for .avi's and most others?
i4k20c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:55 AM   #24
quigleybc
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Skype™ to quigleybc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian
VLC is improving their interface in 0.85. There's a lot less need for the Controller to be open now. The 0.85 test-1 has much smoother video playback then 0.84a but the audio is flakey and doesn't always work. Then again it is a test version. I did get 4-10% less CPU usage too.

Nice

Now that VLC has the controls built into the window like Quicktime, I love VLC even more.

Now it's almost perfect
quigleybc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:11 AM   #25
steve.tmq
macrumors newbie

QT jumps and VLC dose not, WHY?

The first post was way back in 2006 it is now 2013 and I still can't see an answer to why Quicktime jerks more than VLC.

I have a old MB Pro 15" 1.8Ghz 2Gb RAM and OS X 6.8

I made a slide show in Aperture and exported it 1080p .MOV quicktime movie. Thinking I'll stay with Apple all the way(good idea). Well it plays well as preview in Aperture witch I believe uses the quicktime engine as all Apple App's do. But go to finder and click on the .mov file and it opens in quicktime and plays(jerky), but right click and "Open with" VLC and it opens and plays fine.

So I ask the same question WHY?

P.S. I limit my CPU speed to 1.4 as I live in Greece and in the summer it's hot BUT!!! the movie is also choppy when I let the laptop run at full speed.
steve.tmq is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store