Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This week marked the beginning on the trial of Apple Computer vs. the Beatle's Apple Corps record label. The lawsuit originally reported in 2003 surrounds Apple Computer's move into the music arena with the iPod and iTunes Music Store. Apple Corps and Apple Computer have had previous legal settlements surrounding the potential of corporate name confusion.

Apple Computer reportedly paid Apple Corps $26.5 million and a contract on allowed use of the Apple Computer trademark. According to Apple's lawyers, digital distribution of music such as the iTunes music store was explicitly allowed under the terms of the agreement.

A lawyer for Apple Computer dismissed the claim of corporate confusion and stated that "even a moron in a hurry could not be mistaken about that".

The current presiding judge is reported to be "computer-literate" and own both a Mac (with iLife) and an iPod.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Is Apple Records still own any...

Does Apple Records own any music any more? Doesn't Wacko Jacko own all the Beatles music now? So wants the point of this law suit?

-Hugh

illw!l

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Macrumors said:
A lawyer for Apple Computer dismissed the claim of corporate confusion and stated that "even a moron in a hurry could not be mistaken about that".

In other news, Apple Computers is now accepting applications for new attorneys.

Hopefully Steve&Co. has got some better arguments than this. Hopefully...

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Maybe its because I havent seen this story progress through time but Im kinda lost I dont know exactly any back ground on this story

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think Apple Computer's lawyer is right in that it's going to be a very hard sell that anyone is confusing these two companies. There might still be a breach of contract, depending on what exactly the previous agreement said and how the Court interprets the language of that agreement. This is "data transmission," which is clearly the domain of Apple Computer under the agreement, but one could argue that they are, in some senses, acting like a record label too.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I have to admit though, when I first heard about Apple Corps in the 90s, my first thought was; so Apple (computers) makes music now. :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacMosher said:
Maybe its because I havent seen this story progress through time but Im kinda lost I dont know exactly any back ground on this story

Apple Corps record label was established first. They are suing Apple Computer because they feel that the term "Apple" trademark is their's in the Music industry, and that Apple Computer's entry will cause corporate confusion.

Just like I can't start a new Comptuer company called "Apple PCs" without getting sued by Apple.

This isn't a new issue... and as Apple Computer expanded, Apple Corps has sued them before. The last settlement in 1991 is at dispute about the allowed use of Apple Computer to distribute music digitally.

arn

leenoble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Paul McCartney hasn't written a decent tune since John Lennon stopped helping him. The guy is totally talentless. His company is about as creative. Think of it as Britain's SCO.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Since the judge knows his stuff I don't think he'd decide in favor of Apple records. The quote from the lawyer is hilarious, and I feel the same way. I think Apple Records just wants some cash... :rolleyes: :D

jenkij

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2002
What? For all these years I thought I was buying my Mac's from the same company that produced the beatles albums, I just though Granny Smith sued them and made them use a different logo. If I had only know I would have stuck with Windoze.:confused:

ph0rce

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
Paul McCartney is my friends next door neighbour and lives about en miles from me. What an idiot he is. His music was rubish too :p

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
Stop being such blind fanboys.

I love Apple as much as the next man, but "Apple Computer" is very similar to "Apple Corps" - especially as both are referred to as "Apple".

How would you you feel if somebody today started to deliver video content over the internet, and they decided to call their company "Macintosh", in honour of the raincoat? Apple would sue them to sh*t. And you would want them to. And Apple would win.

I mean, look at some of the recent compyright infringement cases: e.g. Spike Lee suing Spike TV, just because they used his first name!!

It was only a few years ago that I worked out that "Apple Corps" had nothing to do with "Apple Computer", and I'm sure many people are the same.

In addition, it is rumoured that Jobs choose the name Apple, precisely because he was a big Beatles fan, and liked the name. So, no plagarism there then (!)

I think Apple [Computer] are on the backfoot on this one. And, it may take another financial settlement to deal with this. Of course, not that either company is any desperate need of cash.

icookbook

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
Originally Posted by Macrumors
The current presiding judge is reported to be "computer-literate" and own both a Mac (with iLife) and an iPod.

Kingsly said:
:D
I feel much better now!

... and also owns the complete beatles discography on LP, cassette, AND cd.;)

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
leenoble said:
Paul McCartney hasn't written a decent tune since John Lennon stopped helping him. The guy is totally talentless. His company is about as creative. Think of it as Britain's SCO.

I think Paul has a alot of great songs. He wrote a lot of great music with wings and even his latest solo project chaos and creation in the backyard is a sweet solo album.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.