Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
In NYC, has anyone ever been? I need to go for an art class. Should I go to the Apple store there? It's kinda close, or is it like every other one? I wanna visit the Nintendo store too at Rockefeller, I think it's over there.

Oh and any tips for riding the subway? I've been on it quite a few times, but there was always someone that knew somewhat about it. I'm completely confused by it. I'll be traveling from Chinatown.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
MoMA is an amazing museum. Many don't like the redesign compared to the original, but for the average person it's still beautiful. Definitely check out the extremely long painting near the entrance once you get inside. You'll know what it is because there will most likely be a bunch of people around it, but the name and artist have slipped my mind at the moment..It's basically just color but its a beautiful piece (and was more beautiful before the redesign made it's display awful..eh). Have fun :)

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
The MoMa is fun.

But the Apple store isn't close to it. The MOMA is on 53rd street, the Apple store is in SoHo, which is way downtown. As for the subway, take the 4,5,6 to get between the MOMA and the Apple store. The Apple store is at Prince and Greene Street. I'm not sure if the stop on the 4,5,6 line closest to the Apple Store is an express stop, it'll be a little bit of a walk, 5 minutes or so from that stop to the apple store, but Soho is a beautiful part of Manhattan so it'll be a good walk. I always walked to the Apple store, I lived on 16th street and Broadway at Union Square. If you're looking for super cheap good Chinese take out, go to Young Chow at 3rd ave. and 14th street. Super Yummy.

Anyways, have fun in NYC!

e

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Yes!! It's wonderful!!

Take the time to really enjoy and study the Van Goghs and Dalis. I tell you reproductions and prints are never the same after you've seen the beauty of the originals. *Sigh... what I would give to have an original hanging on my wall....

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Ah! I'm so jealous, there's an exhibit I would really like to go to right now: New Architecture in Spain. I wish the exhibit had some Calatrava in it, but that exhibit looks really wonderful. I wish I still lived in New York :(. I probably will live there again soon, it's a wonderful city.

If you're a student you can get a nice discount, by the way.

e

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
scem0 said:
Ah! I'm so jealous, there's an exhibit I would really like to go to right now: New Architecture in Spain. I wish the exhibit had some Calatrava in it, but that exhibit looks really wonderful. I wish I still lived in New York :(. I probably will live there again soon, it's a wonderful city.

If you're a student you can get a nice discount, by the way.

e

I heard it was free for SUNY students or sumthin.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
floriflee said:
*Sigh... what I would give to have an original hanging on my wall....

Well, if it isn't upwards of $20 million, you won't have an original....

But there is some great original artwork out there that sells for much less. Art students, combined shows, and so on are great places to find undiscovered talent.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
SamIchi said:
I heard it was free for SUNY students or sumthin.

It is free for some universities. It was free for me, I attended Parsons School of Design. I think it is free for NYU kids as well. SVA kids probably get in for free as well. SUNY too, maybe, although I have no idea.

I do know that out of town students and small uni's have to pay a discounted student rate, unless they attend select schools in the city. I just don't know what schools are in this group other than Parsons.

Sorry for being so worthless :p.

e

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
scem0 said:
It is free for some universities. It was free for me, I attended Parsons School of Design. I think it is free for NYU kids as well. SVA kids probably get in for free as well. SUNY too, maybe, although I have no idea.

I do know that out of town students and small uni's have to pay a discounted student rate, unless they attend select schools in the city. I just don't know what schools are in this group other than Parsons.

Sorry for being so worthless :p.

e

Yea our teacher told us it's free. I was thinkin about transfering to Parsons (or Pratt), what did you major in?

Any suggestions on what else i should visit while I'm down there?

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
hmmm.. I want to transfer to Parsons or Pratt too, was it hard to get in?? Yes, I love the museums in NYC, wanting to get an intern in one of them >_<

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I majored in Design and Technology at Parsons. I really loved the school and the program, but it wasn't right for me due to personal changes. I fell out of love with technology. But I'd recommend the program in a second to someone who wants a job in technology but doesn't want to sit in a cubicle. It's about innovation at Parsons. I hope you don't mind design, because there's a lot of design in every program offered there.

What are you interested in at Parsons? I can probably help out and answer a lot of questions :).

As for Pratt, my sister goes there and also likes the school just fine but is leaving because she doesn't like her program - Critical and Visual Analysis.

As for whether or not it's harder to get into, people always say Parsons is harder to get into, but that's just for Fashion. It's hard to say for all the other programs offered there. I'm not an artist at all and I got into Design and Technology. The fashion program is what gets so much laud, though.

Oh, and I should mention that Parsons is very hard. Especially if you have to take Foundation, which people going into certain programs, like Fashion, have to take. D&T students don't have to, but D&T is still ultra challenging. Lots of homework and projects from all your classes. It's rewarding stuff though.

e

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The MoMA was nice. The day was tiring but worth it. The Spain Architectucture was pretty cool. I liked the print section. Everyone I went with got in for free, so that was a plus.

I've been lookin into Industrial Design. Parsons and Pratt are supposed to have great programs for it. I'm goin to transfer in a year or so.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
The MoMA is cool! I was there for the Pixar Exhibit they had a little back which was real fun. It was pretty cool, crowded but, cool.

Also I forget what floor it was on but, they had a few Apple products on display. A Macintosh 128k, iMac G4, and an original 5gb iPod, the iMac G4 was donated by someone but, the others were donated by Apple if I remember correctly. :D

Picture attached of course ;)

Attachments

• MoMA-Macs-Web.jpg
    MoMA-Macs-Web.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.