Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manowatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
Okay, most of us have seen the plastic replacement lids that you can buy for iBooks (Dr. Bott carries them).

What are the odds of someone manufacturing a replacement shell for the iBook that mimics the new aluminum enclosures of the PowerBooks??

Of course it would have to be both top and bottom and sell for less than the cost of a new 12" PB!

I realize what a pipe dream this is. I just wanted to see if any other iBook owners were thinkning the same thing!

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
I own an iBook, and it is a lovely machine, but the only problem is IT SCRATCHES SOOOOO EASILY. You can put a set of headphones ontop of the lid, and you'll get about a thousand scratches. Heck, my iBook had scratches when I opened the box :) ! An Aluminum shell for the iBook would be nice and scratch-proof, but what a hassle it would be to replace it. The little feet, and the screws, and I don't think it would be worth it. What would you do about the battery? Would they sell batteries also?
Just my $.02
=Ajmbc=

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
The 12" PB is basically the iBook with an aluminum case and a G4 processor...and I do wish you could get that kind of thing...my iBook has like 1000+ scratches (i tried counting once) and I really dislike the white color because it doesn't match any of the other computers I have except the iMac.

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
my iBook has like 1000+ scratches (i tried counting once)
Haha, I tried to do the same thing. There are just little rings of scratches all over it. It used to bother me, but I think I got over that. In the next revision of the iBooks, they need to change out the 'skin'. If someone came out w/ an aluminum re-casing for the iBook and it was affordable, easy to put on, and matched the rest of the iBook, then I would buy it in 5 seconds. But I think that is highly unlikely.
=Ajmbc=

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.