Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrStrangelove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
I've really been having a blast since joining this community and am finding tons and tons of great information. At the same time I'm finding too much information can be burdonsome and even scary.

To wit: I bought my first Mac (20" mactel iMac) late Jan/early Feb. Man have I been happy with it. Reading some of the reviews here has made me a little nervous from time to time, but I understand the context of many of these "observations." I try to use them to inform myself but rest assured that it doesn't necessarily mean that I'll experience some of the problems.

Anyone back to my point. When I bought the iMac I moved the old PC into the living room for my wife and kids to destroy if they wanted to. Anyone like to guess where they spend most of their time computing? Yeah, in my home office on my iMac- that there says something about quality- they're not so obsessed with the ol' PC-- never were.

So after a few weeks I thought-- I'm going to buy them a mini-mac core solo for some minor gaming (kids games: Dora, 123, etc) and basic websurfing, email. Nothing of what my wife and kids do will be labor intensive. Then I joined here and read some of the complaints.

Just wondering if it's time to buy the mini-mac solo for them or if it's best to hold off a few months. Any opinion is appreciated.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Buy it, the Minis will likly stay on the Core Solo/Dual Chip for a while, as right now it pretty poweful. Get the Mini and love it just like the iMac

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Hmm, how graphics intensive are the games? the main problem with the mini is the lack of standalone graphics card makes it not very suitable for gaming, however if the games aren't 3d or anything then you should have no problems with the Mini, otherwise the cheapest iMac might be a better deal, if you already have a flat screen etc. you can always ship them off to ebay.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Buy it. The Mac Mini is a brand new system, and it will run whatever games your kids want to play just fine.

Best deal too cause you can use your ol' PC keyboard and monitor with the Mini.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I say buy the Mini Core Solo. It's a pretty nice buy, and then it will get your kids of the iMac, and you can reclaim your baby. ;)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
buy it. i just bought the mini core solo and i am quiet impressed with it. i bought it mostly for an inexpensive file server, but after getting an elgato eyeTV 200 and setting it up as a sort of DVR i have realized the mini is decently powered. i would say about equivalent to my PB G4. i keep saying this, but i should really try it out. . . hmmm. anyway, the mini is great. just be sure to load it up with RAM. i am running 512MB of ram, but i have heard numerous people on these forums say that its worthless w/o 1GB of ram. (so im curious as to how well it will do when i upgrade to 1GB)

queensnyc

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2006
I just bought a Core Duo Mini and am loving it. It's my first Mac in many years and I've found it to be very capable, even the stock model. I plan to upgrade the memory soon, but with 512 MB it's still very peppy. The Core Solo should be more than adequate for your family to mess around with.

Good luck!

DrStrangelove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Well, that's it.

I'm going to get one today at some point. Two Macs in the house and a dual boot (XP/Linux) PC being retired.

Actually I don't think I will retire it. I think I'll wipe XP, format that partition making it available to Linux and run a server to the Macs. That should work, yeah?

I'll update on the Solo experience at some point.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I am very happy withmy macmini, i dont use it much but i really love it when i use it. I have it setup beside my PC, after i play some games and i want to get some work done i click the switch and i get whatever i want done. You will enjoy it.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
DrStrangelove said:
Well, that's it.

I'm going to get one today at some point. Two Macs in the house and a dual boot (XP/Linux) PC being retired.

Actually I don't think I will retire it. I think I'll wipe XP, format that partition making it available to Linux and run a server to the Macs. That should work, yeah?

Sweet!
Post pictures when you get it. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
DrStrangelove said:
Well, that's it.

Good choice DrStrangelove! :)

Not only will the kiddies and the wife have a nice new Mac to use- you should be able to get yours back! ;) :)

DrStrangelove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
dmw007 said:
Good choice DrStrangelove! :)

Not only will the kiddies and the wife have a nice new Mac to use- you should be able to get yours back! ;) :)

I've been up for 4 hours. I'm on kid duty today-- wifey is sleeping late. Our daughter is sick or I'd pack them up and take them with me.

I can't WAIT for her to wake-up so that I can go get the goodies!

cruxed

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2005
Hong Kong
DrStrangelove said:
I've been up for 4 hours. I'm on kid duty today-- wifey is sleeping late. Our daughter is sick or I'd pack them up and take them with me.

haha, I know the feeling of the anticipation that builds up when you are about to get new products :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
DrStrangelove said:

Yikes :eek: Hopefully you were able to get out of the house today to pick up the "goodies". :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.