Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveberlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
can anyone help me out; I have a 3 month old PB 17", and the screen looks dirty or spotty , I just paid 30€ for iKlear but it did not help, I keep my computers clean and well looked after so this is driving me mad. Is this the norm. my old PB 15" screen was fine.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Do you use an iSkin on your keyboard? That would definitely contribute to that.

You're kinda scaring me because I've had my 17" PB for 3 weeks now and I'm really meticulous with it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Do you use the machine outside much? My iBook's screen gets quite dirty when I use it outside. It has an almost static electricity effect and manages to attract far more pollen than is welcome.

Have you tried using sandpaper to get rid of the dirt?...

...Because you probably shouldn't do this. :eek:

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I know that the keyboard can start to make an imprint on the screen if no protection is left between the two. I usually just use rubbing alcohol and it cleans everything except the keyboard mark. I am not sure if it is just from the friction of the two hitting or the dirt/oil on the keyboard.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
mad jew said:
Do you use the machine outside much? My iBook's screen gets quite dirty when I use it outside. It has an almost static electricity effect and manages to attract far more pollen than is welcome.

Have you tried using sandpaper to get rid of the dirt?...

...Because you probably shouldn't do this. :eek:
You made me cringe when I read that.

Stop scaring me! ;)

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
daveberlin said:
can anyone help me out; I have a 3 month old PB 17", and the screen looks dirty or spotty , I just paid 30€ for iKlear but it did not help, I keep my computers clean and well looked after so this is driving me mad. Is this the norm. my old PB 15" screen was fine.

I've found that the standard iKlear wet and dry disposable towels do not work on the screen when you only use the disposable towels. The disposable iKlear towels consistently left streaks on my powerbook screen.

iKlear is now selling both a thick and thin microfibre cloths. I've recently wiped down my powerbook screen with one of the wet disposable towels and then used the thin microfibre cloth to dry the screen and found that this approach results in a perfectly clean streak free LCD. (I suspect that the thick microfibre cloth would work just as well.)

As other posters have pointed out, you may have inadvertantly transfered the skin oils from your keyboard to the screen. If this is the case then you might be out of luck. Over time these oils end up etching the screen resulting in marks that cannot be removed. If it has only been three months then you will probably be successful in cleaning the marks off using iKlear. There are various screen protectors such as the leather one from OWC that prevent the oils on the keyboard from being transfered onto the screen.

daveberlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Thanks for the tips, I do use the keyboard protector ( of course ) and when the the pb is switched off and you look at the screen it's clean as it can get. So it sounds like some thing has impregnated it, is it me or does the screen seem more "porous" the my old PB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.