Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
Okay, so my original airport card in my iMac that I got for $70 died after 3 years, so I was wondering instead of replacing it for $130 (RIP OFF) if I could do the following setup:

Connect this USB adapter to a USB hub that is connected to my iMac.

That should work correct? Assuming that I use the proper driver it should work, or atleast it seems it would be.

Has anyone had experience with this? The reason I want to connect the USB adapter to the USB hub (btw) is because I dont want that huge thing sticking out of my iMac, heck it might not even fit in there the way the USB ports on it are.

(The iMac is running 10.4.3, with 1GB of RAM, I had to reinstall the OS, so I was unable to update the whole OS, so what I will do is burn the driver to a CD using my MacBook Pro and then use it in the iMac....I really hope someone has experience with this adapter...)

Thanks in advance!

(EDIT: I'm using the Snow Airtport base station....if that matters)

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Yeah that will work, but I will warn you that the software for the USB Wireless adapters is very crappy. I installed a DLink wireless USb adapter on a 333 MHz iMac once and all it did was cause kernel panics. Your results may vary. Maybe they've improved the software since then.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
NO! Don't get that one in particular. I got the same originally for my iBook 600mHz w/o Airport, and it froze the 'book EVERY SINGLE TIME I USED IT with the iBook- of the like 7 times i've ever had to reboot it 5 times were because of it (and one was because of a kernel panic...).
Personally I would buy an real Airport card, it is in fact worth the cost.
But that's just what I think, please, if you buy it, be aware of its return policy

*PS- it worked perfectly with a PC, so it was not a lemon...

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
How about a netgear MA111 (i think) with that driver? I'll make sure I am able to return it when I buy it though...please remember I am talking about with that specific driver...

Also, I've had an airport card...but I'm not about to pay $120 for one...I'll just MAKE one out of another wireless card...geez...
$120!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.