Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hi guys,

I bought an external HD yesterday (160 lacie tripple interface) to back up/add extra room to my powerbook, but need a little help.

1. My powerbook has a 80gig HD, i'd like to create partitions on the new lacie, how do i do this?

2. When the above is done, i'd like to create a clone of my HD (that is bootable) onto one of the partitions. Can I do this using OSX, i'd rather not install 3rd party software such as CCC or SuperDooper?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Applespider

macrumors G4
If your LaCie is still empty, then go into Disk Utility and choose the Disk

Then click on the Partition Tab and it should be reasonably simple from there - choose how many partitions you want, drag the bar to split the partitions to the appropriate sizes and choose Mac OS Extended (journalled) if you're going to boot from it.

Clone-wise, I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it. There are probably a series to Terminal commands etc to do so but when you're cloning, you don't move everything over (like some of the caches etc) and I'm not sure how you'd then make it bootable.

Why the aversion to 3rd party stuff? I use Superduper to clone mine. I used to use the free version but then paid so I could use the incremental backups and save time (besides, it's such a great bit of software, I felt bad not paying them anything!)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Applespider said:
Why the aversion to 3rd party stuff? I use Superduper to clone mine. I used to use the free version but then paid so I could use the incremental backups and save time (besides, it's such a great bit of software, I felt bad not paying them anything!)

i just get a little concerned since downloading Maintain caused my powerbook to kernal. Also, i don't want to download something that might endanger my files.

You recomend superduper though? is it a free 'trial' for a certain amount of days or just a limited copy of the software?

Applespider

macrumors G4
student_trap said:
You recomend superduper though? is it a free 'trial' for a certain amount of days or just a limited copy of the software?

It's limited to only full clones. If you want the incremental backups (which are useful since they're quicker) or the safety clones, then you have to pay.

It's never caused me any problems and it's saved my life (or at least my data) on occasion so yes, I guess I'd recommend it.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
just an update to say that i used superduper last night to create a bootable backup and...it is marvelous software. Thanks for an excellent recommendation applespider

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.