Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Does anyone know what happened to this, shouldn't it have been announced some time ago? Any word?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
You may recall they originally said late 2002 and then pushed it back to early 2003...

I'm hoping they're doing some serious upgrades to the whole Xserve line, to warrant the wait.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: What happened to the Xserve RAID?

Originally posted by shadowfax0
Does anyone know what happened to this, shouldn't it have been announced some time ago? Any word?

MacWhispers claims it's delayed due to a switch to Firewire 2... but no other word about it.

arn

occam

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2003
heat and power supply issues acc'g macosrumors

And macosrumors has just posted that:

*The long-awaited Xserve update will not come for several more weeks (at least), due to the fact that current 1.42GHz G4 processors are too hot for use in a 1U rackmount environment and the Xserve RAID 2U unit continues to experience persistent supply and reliability issues that Apple will need more time to work out.

So, there are several competing rumors, none or all of which may be half-true! Interesting that software issues are not mentioned as I suspected perhaps that OS X Server may need some upgrades, tweaking, or optimizing to handle Xserve RAID throughput. That seems perhaps the most likely (though I like the idea of the firewire upgrade).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.