Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:04 PM   #1
austincpy
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to austincpy
Which display?

I have three options:
1. Get a 23" display (but put me between a rock and a hard place as far as money is concerned)
2. Get a 20" and be happy
3. Get two 17"

I do mainly basic stuff and a little bit of Final Cut Pro work and PhotoShop (but just for school)

Thanks
P.S. This is kinda hypothetical, i'm not really sure right now, but i have the options, and later this year i know i'm gonna take one of them.
P.S.S. What do they mean that the 23" is ready for color correction apps? www.apple.com/displays/acd23
austincpy is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:09 PM   #2
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

I'd say go 20" or dual 17"...but the 20" alone should be fine for what you need to do and cost slightly less.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:18 PM   #3
kay
macrumors member

Buying the 17" would be a mistake, IMO. You're getting a much better display in the 20"... widescreen and all.

I'm getting a 20" and a DVI-ADC adapter within the next month... I've been looking forward to a mid-range, cost-efficient flat-panel for so long.
kay is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:26 PM   #4
MacAztec
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to MacAztec
17"

get hte 17"

Its 34" of viewable area compared to 20.
MacAztec is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:34 PM   #5
janey
macrumors 603

Re: Which display?

Quote:
Originally posted by austincpy
P.S.S. What do they mean that the 23" is ready for color correction apps? www.apple.com/displays/acd23
You can use software and a spectrometer (or is it called something else?) to calibrate the monitor (correct me if i'm wrong please) to create custom ColorSync profiles on your computer (and you can calibrate yours by looking in the display preferences I believe).
Apple's suggesting the Eye-One spectrophotometer (http://www.i1color.com) from GretagMacbeth and I think it's pretty decent.

Oh, btw, it's P.P.S. not P.S.S.

janey is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2003, 06:14 AM   #6
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
I have three options:
1. Get a 23" display (but put me between a rock and a hard place as far as money is concerned)
3. Get two 17"
Of these options, if you can't afford the 23", I'd say get the 20" and later on if that is insufficient display space, you can add another 20" (or really any size display).

(That is, get the second display after your wallet/credit card recover.)
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:53 PM   #7
spacepower
macrumors member

which display? i had the same question

hmmm good one

well I spent 4+ hours in the apple store the past week comparing them side by side. I can afford both the 20 and 23. But i am inclined to go against the 23 in favor of the 20. the 20 is crisper and brighter. FOR REAL! Supposedly the 23 is going to get updated with a better lcd with same size and pixels but better pixel response and brightness, in the next several months. i am purchasing this week and although i drool over the 23 i think the 20 is better looking.

When the were both set on maximum brightness, the 20 looked better even when i was standing in front of the 23 and the 20 was 4 feet away.

Here is a test i performed today after reading reports of awkward whites on the 23. On both machines, go to the preferences>desktop and set the desktop for white, in the solid colors folder. there is an option for white at the far right. i compared the 23 and 20 next to each other. the 23 had a slight bluish tint compared to the 20. The 20 is much brighter too!

I don't mean to bash on the 23, i wanted one until today. i just think the 20 is a better display. I will buy a 20 for now and maybe in a year I will get a 23 after they update the display.

I would love the extra pixels of the 23, but the 20 beats it hands down. I would love to check the formac 20 vs the apple 20 but i don't know of any place that i can find them both.

Down take my advice, please compare for yourself and let me know what you think

Take care
Old Feb 4, 2003, 12:16 AM   #8
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

Quote:
I have three options:
3. Get two 17"

I do mainly basic stuff and a little bit of Final Cut Pro work and PhotoShop (but just for school)

Thanks
P.S. This is kinda hypothetical, i'm not really sure right now, but i have the options, and later this year i know i'm gonna take one of them.
Get the 20''. The picture quality on the 20'' is much better than the 17''
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2003, 01:20 AM   #9
JupiterZen
macrumors regular

Re: which display? i had the same question

Quote:
Originally posted by spacepower
i am purchasing this week and although i drool over the 23 i think the 20 is better looking.
Sure your drooling didn't smudge the screen on the 23"?

I can hardly believe the 20" is better that the 23" (being HD and all). Maybe only because it's more current technology.

But I never saw them side by side.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers