Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 3, 2006, 03:02 PM   #1
rhiannonctr
macrumors newbie

15" PowerBook Clasp Problem

I've read another strand about the problems with the gaps when PowerBooks are closed, but does anybody know how to fix the clasp when it stops working? The hook still comes down and "hooks," but as soon as I let go of it, the top pops back open. It's been getting progressively worse over the past three weeks or so, but now it won't stay closed at all. It's not a big deal when I power the thing down, but I can't just close it and put it to sleep now. Any ideas? (Especially one's that don't break the bank!)
rhiannonctr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 03:04 PM   #2
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Can you tell what the problem is? Is the spring on the button broken? Or is it the "catch" part of the button? (FYI, the catch is observable when the PB is open and you look down into the hole...there should be a metal piece visible on the right side that moves out of the way when you push on the latch.)
Old Apr 3, 2006, 03:10 PM   #3
bah-bah'd
macrumors regular

I try to fix everything with canned air first.
bah-bah'd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 04:09 PM   #4
rhiannonctr
macrumors newbie

The catch still seems to be working and there is still a "spring" feeling when I push the catch release button. I think it's actually the hook part. It doesn't seem to really be holding on to the "catch" any more. The hook is really loose and almost feels like I could pull it out if I tugged really hard. Does anyone know if this is someting I can replace and if so where I can find the piece?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 04:11 PM   #5
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

I don't know about replacing it, but I'm sure it can be done...might have to be by a repair center. Here are a few hints to try to work the problem out yourself.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Meyvn
macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problem, with the same model. I'm just going to take it into the Apple Store.
Meyvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 05:57 PM   #7
rhiannonctr
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the ideas. I've tried the suggestions you directed me to Wild Cowboy, but nada. The thing still isn't catching. Big sigh. I guess I'm off to my Apple rep tomorrow. I just know this isn't going to be covered under my Applecare.
Old May 3, 2009, 04:22 PM   #8
graphicidea
macrumors newbie

macbook pro clasp problem

I had this problem too and it turned out to be the laptop casing design problem. The cd drive is in the front right hand side, where your right wrist rests, this is made of thin metal that cant hold the weight. this causes the casing to bend out of shape and the clasp not to work. Apple will tell you that it is your fault and is not covered by applecare etc. this is not the case!!! it is a design fault. I insisted that they fix mine at no cost to me and they eventually did that (reluctantly) don't stand for this disgusting treatment of loyal customers!!! spread the word and good luck
graphicidea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Sweetfeld28
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Sweetfeld28
I had the same issue with my MBP, after being returned to me from the repair depot. Except in my case the Display looked like it was kind of curled up on the one corner, and this made it hard for the latch to catch the hook. Before this however, the hooks wouldn't even come down, which meant it was a magnet problem.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:57 PM   #10
ForensicTeacher
macrumors newbie

Unlike graphicidea up there, I went to the Mac store. It was under warranty.

The man happily fixed it without complaint or hesitation. It took around three minutes.

While I was at it, he also replaced the battery at no charge despite not being under warranty.

Point being: They don't always screw you at the Apple Store. Really now.
ForensicTeacher is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs