Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dakota13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
NYC
Had to ask if anyone has heard about any kinks or problems with running pro-tools and the mbox 2 or any other software like final cut on the new powerbook pro? Thanks for any insight.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
dakota13 said:
Had to ask if anyone has heard about any kinks or problems with running pro-tools and the mbox 2 or any other software like final cut on the new powerbook pro? Thanks for any insight.
Its a MacBook Pro. ;)
Mbox crashed mine. Twice. Wait until Digidesign releases the universal version in may.
Unfortunately, there is no workaround to get Protools or Coreaudio manager working under rosetta without causing a kernal panic. Sorry.
Final cut does work, as does soundtrack (under rosetta) or you could pay for the crossgrade and not have to deal with rosetta at all!

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
As above, Protools will not work under Rossetta on my Intel iMac, and is therefore not currently supported by the MBP.

The latest from Digidesign is that they may have the UA version available by as early the end of April, but expect May.

Logic in it's Universal form absolutely screams on the iMac, I expect Protools to do the same or there's gonna be trouble...:D

dakota13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
NYC
WinterMute said:
As above, Protools will not work under Rossetta on my Intel iMac, and is therefore not currently supported by the MBP.

The latest from Digidesign is that they may have the UA version available by as early the end of April, but expect May.

Logic in it's Universal form absolutely screams on the iMac, I expect Protools to do the same or there's gonna be trouble...:D

SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE KINK TO BE WORKED OUT AND get a G4?

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
dakota13 said:

No, I think I would wait until somebody actually runs ProTools on a new MacBook Pro and see what the results are. If it turns out that the MacBook Pro is stable and fast, then go for it. Otherwise get a refurb G4 - or try Logic Pro.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
dakota13 said:

It's only going to be May, so tough it out.

In the meantime, take a look at logic. Great app and runs amazing on all the intel boxes.

dakota13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
NYC
Mbox vs. logic pro with for an xlr mic for the mbp?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. WHAT IS MY OPTION FOR GETTING a HIGH-END XLR-MIC input into a powerbook pro if I don't use the mbox?
Or can I upgrade the Mbox I just purchased in may or there-abouts?

milo said:
It's only going to be May, so tough it out.

In the meantime, take a look at logic. Great app and runs amazing on all the intel boxes.

dakota13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
NYC
Xlr Mic Into Macbook Pro

If I do not use the mbox, what is the best and cheapest option to input sound from an xlr mic into the new macbook pro?
thanks.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.