Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
I just got offered a 600mhz 14" ibook g3 for $200 and really don't want to pass it up. I would use it for some light photoshop/CS2 and some quark express. Does anyone use a G3 for these purposes. I'm not making hundred page books, I'm just doing basic stuff. I know it's not going to measure up with a g4, but I was just wondering if it was worth it before I put down the money.
Thanks in advance.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I don't think photoshop will work on that g3, and not well if it does. That computer would really just be a good portable computer for typing and listening to music/browsing internet.

200 is not a bad price for that if the whole thing works.

Dustintendo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2005
photoshop will work on a g3 and i know that bcause i used it on my parents g3 imac earlier. what are you waiting for? but it right now.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Yes, it's worth it definitely. $200 is an awesome deal for that. Go with CS, not CS2, it'll run WAY better on the older hardware. Heck, it runs better on my new iBook G4.

And yes, CS will work on 600mhz, I used to use it on my 300mhz clamshell.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
I know it'll run, but how well? will it be bearable?

Also, I just found out that the reason it's so cheap is because it doesn't turn on 5% of the time. Anyone knowledgeable about dual usb ibook hardware have any ideas?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
At only $200, buy the iBook G3. It should be okay for what you want to use it for. Ok, not great, but at $200....you just can't beat the price. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Sutekidane said:
I know it'll run, but how well? will it be bearable?

Also, I just found out that the reason it's so cheap is because it doesn't turn on 5% of the time. Anyone knowledgeable about dual usb ibook hardware have any ideas?

Sounds like there could be a problem with the HDD or perhaps the logic board (does it have problems starting regardless if using battery power or when hooked to a power adapter?).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've got a 500 MHz iBook with 384 MB of RAM running Tiger. It does fine for light Photoshop 7 work...don't know about Quark as I don't use it. It had gotten pretty slow on Panther, but I did a clean install of Tiger a couple of weeks ago and it is much snappier now...in fact, I was shocked at how well it was operating.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I used my G3 ibook for pretty heavy PS use for about nine months. It's definitely less than ideal, but it'll work.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
dmw007 said:
Sounds like there could be a problem with the HDD or perhaps the logic board (does it have problems starting regardless if using battery power or when hooked to a power adapter?).

I"m hoping it's not the logic board but rather the PMU(?) or power board. He said that when it boots up, it works perfectly, so that leads me to believe that the logic board is fine. He also said that he doesn't get any video distortion or anything.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Sutekidane said:
I"m hoping it's not the logic board but rather the PMU(?) or power board. He said that when it boots up, it works perfectly, so that leads me to believe that the logic board is fine. He also said that he doesn't get any video distortion or anything.

Sorry, that is what I should have said; PMU, not the logic board.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I can run Photoshop and Illustrator on my 500Mhz G3 iBook – granted it's not exactly speedy (certainly next to my Power Mac) but it runs OK. You might look at adding some more RAM in there if it hasn't already been upgraded, though.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Once Photoshop starts up, you'll be just fine. As somebody said, make sure you use CS rather than CS2, you'll be much happier. Make sure you get some good RAM if it doesn't have much already; $200 is a steal on your part, so go take advantage of it!

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I have a G3 iBook running Photoshop and for light use it will be fine. I just use it to play with photos, nothing professional. If you could get that "it only turns on 5 % of the time" issue cleared up it sounds like a great deal. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.