Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Hi folks,

I did win a useable TiBook G4 400mhz on ebay about 2 weeks ago and it came in yesterday. The question is what can I do with it? It has 10 gb at the moment and I won't be able to upgrade so I'm thinking about slapping Tiger into it.

I'm surprised how lightweight this laptop is compared to the Al Book. It doesn't seem as sturdy but the screen is impressive. :eek:

:) On the other hand, I do like the design exceptionally. It won't run Aperture but it works with Photoshop and perhaps a few other programs I suspect?

This gives me the fifth Apple laptop now. I think that it will be replacing my 12" PB in the meantime? :)

At least it's not a paperweight. Any other current TiBook guys here?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
What do you mean you won't be able to upgrade the HD?

You can put an 80 GB in there easily...!

I would take it apart and clean every spec of dust / grime out of it. To make it feel more your own.

Rich.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Not sure to tell you what to do with it (you have several laptops to use :) ). Recommended upgrades would be a larger HDD, installation of either Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.3, and some more RAM (especially if you plan on installing Tiger).

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
You can upgrade the CPU to 550 at Daystar.

You can max out memory and hd very easily.

(I'm on an original 550mhz Tibook right now and LOVING IT.)

You can sell your pb/ibook collection and get the mac of your choice.

Why do you have so many old Mac laptops?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Yeah why so many? And not even like *really* old collectables, but just a bunch of moderately old computrs? What good is that? Sell them and buy a MBP!

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
princealfie said:
At least it's not a paperweight. Any other current TiBook guys here?

I'm rockin' the 400mhz TiBook, too. It compliments my Power Mac, which is my main machine. I use the TiBook mainly for wireless around the house. The battery is shot, so that needs to be replaced, but I only paid $150 for it, so it was a hecka good deal. I don't know exactly what good it would be to you, with so many other notebooks, but it works great for me. I love it! :)

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
turn it into a digital picture frame..... it would look nice on the wall with the large screen.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Actually I plan to get the Mac Book Pro by the end of the year... the main reason why I have a lot of "recent" Macs is for DVD ripping. I can rip about 3-4 DVD's in my collection at the same time :eek:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
princealfie said:
Actually I plan to get the Mac Book Pro by the end of the year... the main reason why I have a lot of "recent" Macs is for DVD ripping. I can rip about 3-4 DVD's in my collection at the same time :eek:

Which of your macs have superdrives?

I wonder if someone could put a superdrive in a 400mhz Tibook?

thahater

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2006
i'm using a tibook 400 mhz now ,it's my main mac(also my only).i installed an 80 gig in it and upgraded the memory and put tiger on it and it runs great faster than i thought it would,really for 400mhz its pretty fast and handles all of my need.i only use it for the web,itunes,iphotos and chat and someother things encoding videos for my psp and watching dvds i love the 15inch widescreen.dont think i can get another laptop with anything less than a 15in widescreen.my only concern is the hinges i dont want then to snap so i'm looking on ebay for backups just in case.but yeah its a good laptop and it should work well for you.but i will be getting a mbp within the year:D

mazurka

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2004
thahater said:
i'm using a tibook 400 mhz now ,it's my main mac(also my only).i installed an 80 gig in it and upgraded the memory and put tiger on it and it runs great faster than i thought it would,really for 400mhz its pretty fast and handles all of my need.

I have a 550MHz TiBook that I recently upgraded to 768MB RAM. It has a 20GB HD. I've run Tiger on my desktop (G5) since it came out, but have always been a bit nervous about installing it on the TiBook. You reckon it's safe? I'd be fearful of it slowing to a crawl.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I was recently given a TiBook 667 and haven't done a thing with it. My friend gave it to me cuz the hardrive crashed and he didn't have the installer discs.
I installed Panther on it and it seems fine.

Funny thing is, he tried to sell it to me for $2,000 last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.