Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
is it true apples computers cannot utilize ddr ram? what about rd ram? do you think apple has considered using RD ram in their POWER macs? it is supposedly the fastest technology available

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
RDRAM is a very mixed blessing. It can transfer a lot of data, but it runs very hot, uses a bunch of power, and takes a long time to start sending data (which results in DDR outperforming it sometimes). Also, it costs a fortune compared to SDRAM. Current PowerMacs use DDR SDRAM, but not all that effectively. Basically it just makes it so that the processor can access the ram at the same time something else is, rather than speeding up the processor's access. The PowerPC 970 will fix this.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: ddr ram?

is it true apples computers cannot utilize ddr ram?

Yes, it is true that the bus between the processor daughter card and the UniNorth does not support DDR.

what about rd ram?

Yes, it is true that the bus between the processor daughter card and the UniNorth does not support RD-Ram.

do you think apple has considered using RD ram in their POWER macs?

Yes, but like most other companies they supported DDR instead of a company that was trying to corner the entire RAM market.

it is supposedly the fastest technology available

Yes it does "vibrate" faster than other technologies. But frequency doesn't matter as much as the actual cost or actual GB/s moved.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
well as far as I know, RD ram is an Intel thing. So if you support Intel you support RD ram. and isn't DDR 2 coming out soon. Maybe i'm thinking of Dual DDR ram. Well anyway i'd forget about RD ram and wait for DDR ram to be used properly by the mac.

Tyler

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
RDRAM is dead, and I'm glad. It was an expensive, proprietary technology put into place by Rambus, a company who claimed to have the rights to DDR and attempted to stifle DDR adoption to protect their inferior product.

Good riddance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.