Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmaw3180

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Hi everyone,

Well I have managed to get 5.1 digital sound playing fine on my new MacBook Pro through VLC player and Apple DVD player also plays DVD's in 5.1 sound. No here's the strange part: For some reason analogue files don't have sound when played through VLC player, but only picture. (ie those divx .avi files not in 5.1 format). However, what makes this even more strange is that these files have no problem being played in Quicktime 7, but unbelievably I can't get Quicktime to run in 5.1!! I would just like to use VLC to play all my video files...

So it looks like there is something wrong with the setup of VLC. I have checked the MIDI/Audio settings of OSX, and it seems fine.

It's quite frustrating because I would have thought the difficult part would be getting 5.1 sound setup correctly in VLC.

I don't think it is the codecs, because after all, you don't need any extra codecs to use VLC player.

If anyone could shed any light on this I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.