Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjbanjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
On a new intel iMac, periodically which ever USB port that the key board(& Mouse) are connected to, becomes disabled.
The error message states that the device attched to the USB port is drawing too much power. I only have a mouse and keyboard attached. How can they be drawing too much power?
Is my keyboard or mouse defective?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
tjbanjo said:
On a new intel iMac, periodically which ever USB port that the key board(& Mouse) are connected to, becomes disabled.
The error message states that the device attched to the USB port is drawing too much power. I only have a mouse and keyboard attached. How can they be drawing too much power?
Is my keyboard or mouse defective?

i have had problems with the usb ports on the back of the machine and sometimes have to reboot

there were similar issues when apple inc went to os x, version 1, with the usb ports, and it was later ironed out as i am confident it will be with all the problems people are having with mactel usb ports and some native apps like itunes...on my jaguar machine, i have issues with sherlock, but i heard that was later fixed, too

another place where early adoption machines or operating systems (to os x version 1, mactels) have issues are with printing but i had a techie programmer write a driver for the printer and fix that issue

as a tech, i would have to see your machine but it does not sound like a defective keyboard and the issues i hear cropping up with mactels, since i just got one, are very much like any new os to hardware debut...and it happens with all companies, even apple

btw, do you have problem waking up from sleep (another common mactel problem)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.