Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helicine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
the retina of the mind's eye
Thought I would post this in case anyone else found it helpful. Using Boot Camp and the Windows XP installer both went flawlessley. However, after installing the Apple drivers and rebooting, I recieved a message saying /system32/drivers/pci.sys file was corrupt.

This is an easy fix. Reboot off the XP install CD and at the install options select "R" to enter the recovery console. Log on w/ your administrator password and type this:

Code:
copy d:\i386\system32\drivers\pic.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys

Then type EXIT to reboot. That will restore the pci.sys file and you should boot XP on the mac without incident.

hope that helps someone who might not know windows that well:)

suntzu

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
Does anyone know if the Apple driver's attempt to replace this file? Are you experience any performance weirdness with the original XP drivers?

helicine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
the retina of the mind's eye
suntzu said:
Does anyone know if the Apple driver's attempt to replace this file? Are you experience any performance weirdness with the original XP drivers?

I had a pair of failed XP boots today, but otherwise XP has worked flawlessly - I did not try to reinstall the Apple drivers after doing this fix. But w/o doing this fix, XP wouldn't boot period.

Oddly enough, in my years of doing windows support, I've seen this file get corrupt on regular intel PCs for no particularly good reason. So I didn't think a whole lot of it when it happened since this is beta software.

This was on a MBP if that matters.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Are you sure you don't have to uncompress the pci.sy_ file first? Last I worked with a Microsoft OS, that underscore meant you had to do something to it to get the full file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.