Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uvula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
The Left Coast
Hi -

I've been reading up on the handy dandy Migration Assistant in preparation to make a move from my trusty 800mHz iBook to a shiny new 17" Intel iMac (which I don't even own yet...) and my quesiton is this:

Does the Migration Assistant MOVE or COPY info from the older machine? At the end of the process, will the older machine still have all of its files and apps?

I'd still like to use my iBook and would like the anwer to be that the files copy over, rather than moving off the iBook completely to favor the iMac.

Thanks for info.

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
It Copies your Home Directory onto the New Computer, so the new one will start up with all your old data in its rightful place.
Mail data transfers, Documents, Prefrences, etc...stuff like that. It wont delete them from the old computer.

QueenieLady

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Help the T button

I want to copy all data from old iMac to New MacBook.

I want all data to remain on old iMac.

I am using the Migration Assistant on the New MacBook.

I have 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable going from iMac to MacBook.

The Migration Assistant says to restart my old computer (iMac) while holding down the "T" key, then I will see the firewire cable. I keep the "T" key held down even after the iMac has restarted.

I don't see the firewire cable on the iMac so I can't proceed.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.