Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Apr 8, 2006, 05:00 PM   #1
luckylisp
macrumors 6502

Editing song titles or other info takes up more space?

Something I'm wondering... why is it that when I go through and make edits to my song names or titles in iTunes that when I resync it it starts adding on more mb's for each song even though I didn't add any new songs or even add any characters to the artist or song title?

For instance, I have some Elliott Smith albums that were all listed under "Elliott Smith" (typed correctly the first time) but his name was still showing up twice on my iPod. I highlighted all of the selections and retyped his name the same as I had it (so nothing was technically changed, no mb's added) to see if it would then show his name once, which it did, but as it went through each title it kept reducing the space on my ipod as it was going through each song. So what gives?

I guess you just have to get everything exactly right the first time before you sync. A bit strange though that it should add on space like each time you make minor changes that don't affect file size.
luckylisp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 05:10 PM   #2
stoid
macrumors 68040

It erases the version on the iPod for al songs that have been updated. So if you're iPod has 3.2GB of music on it and you plug in to sync with only metadata changes, the iPod will first register for example 2.8GB, and will fill back up to the 3.2GB.

The issue is that they can't just change metadata, they have to replace the entire file.
stoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 05:31 PM   #3
luckylisp
macrumors 6502

Ah, I see. Thanks stoid.
luckylisp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod