Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
I just came across these new Samsung model HDTVs. They are replacing those models you see at Xbox 360 kiosks. So far I've only seen the 23", 26", 32", and 40" models. I can't wait to see these in a store. I almost considered getting the white model and a Mac Mini, but I think I'm going to stick with my original plan of a 17" iMac Core Duo and Samsung 19" 940MW.
They all feature 10-bit video processing. The 23" features a standard def NTSC tuner, 3000:1 contrast ratio, HDMI input, 2 sets of HD compatable component inputs, and one antena input. The 26", 32", and 40" models feature HDTV ATSC tuner, 4000:1 contrast ratio, 2 sets of HDMI inputs, 1 set of HD compatable component inputs, 2 antena inputs, and digital optical audio output.
That strip of color at the bottom is not the speaker grill, but a slanted vent leading to a pair of hidden speakers. They feature a gaming mode that was designed with the Xbox 360 in mind. I still might grab one eventually to use as my primary TV set. Here are the model numbers:
LN-S2352W (23" white)
LN-S2651D (26" black)
LN-S2652D (26" white)
LN-S3251D (32" black)
LN-S3252D (32" white)
LN-S4051D (40" black)
LN-S4052D (40" white)

Attachments

• LN-S2652DFront.jpeg
    LN-S2652DFront.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 130
  • LN-S2651DFront.jpeg
    LN-S2651DFront.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 78

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I have the 27" samsung CRT version. HDTV tunner and HDMI input. Wonderful T.V. and great with macs. Im not sure if Apple would desing something like that though. They would add like firewire or USB 2.0 to them and some how add iSight to the TV.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I suppose that when/if Apple makes a HDTV that it might look something akin to that. But I think that the styling will be a bit more distinctly Apple.

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
those are perddddy

they are reallll nice, im very inlove w/ my hitachi 42hdt51 and it works great w/ my pb and soon, a intel mini

bah-bah'd

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2006
DISCOMUNICATION said:
, but I think I'm going to stick with my original plan of a 17" iMac Core Duo and Samsung 19" 940MW.

May I ask why you decided to go with the 940MW vs say the 215TW?

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
940MW vs. 215TW

bah-bah'd said:
May I ask why you decided to go with the 940MW vs say the 215TW?
Reasons:
1.Save $100
2.Gain built in TV tuner
3.Multi system video NTSC/PAL/SECAM
4.Resolution matches the 17" iMac for dual monitors (if I bought a 215TW I would get a 20" imac to match the res. Save more money there too for other things like digital camera, ipod, ect.)
5.The speakers on the 940MW are a little better and I intend to use them
6.The 215TW's component inputs display at a standard 480p
7.The 940MW's component inputs can do HD 720p/1080i
8.My current graphics card is iffy for 1680x1050 while I'm waiting on the iMac
9.Found a 1440x900 layout profile for XSI which normally requires a min. res. of 1280x1024
10.Space saving (measured my desk). I can sit my white PSTwo next to the iMac and my black PSTwo next to the 940MW in their vertical stands. I have a component video VGA box I intend to use with the split screen function

I may eventually get a larger display/tv and a laptop later on. Right now my concern is space and cash

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I was going to get one of there on release as they look great and are quite well priced - but for some odd reason the european versions have only one hdmi input! B*st*rds! I don't want to have to fiddle around at the back to change input if I want to watch SKy HD or my DVD player. And I'm not spending more money on a HDMI switch.

Looks like I'll be sticking with the JVC option then.....

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Piarco75 said:
I was going to get one of there on release as they look great and are quite well priced - but for some odd reason the european versions have only one hdmi input! B*st*rds! I don't want to have to fiddle around at the back to change input if I want to watch SKy HD or my DVD player. And I'm not spending more money on a HDMI switch.

Not that it doesn't suck that they took away the input, but why couldn't you just use the component output on your DVD player?

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
matticus008 said:
Not that it doesn't suck that they took away the input, but why couldn't you just use the component output on your DVD player?

The upscaling Sammy DVD players only upscale through HDMI unfortunately. Component would give me 480p, which is nice, but not what I got my DVD player for. Plus the fact that HDMI is the future, so 2 ports will be essential soon enough.
In fact I'm not sure of a DVD player that is capable of upscaling over component....

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Piarco75 said:
The upscaling Sammy DVD players only upscale through HDMI unfortunately. Component would give me 480p, which is nice, but not what I got my DVD player for. Plus the fact that HDMI is the future, so 2 ports will be essential soon enough.
In fact I'm not sure of a DVD player that is capable of upscaling over component....
Ah. That makes sense, though without HD content, upscaling doesn't really provide a tremendous benefit (maybe newer TVs have some improved filters and better scaling math than older ones, though). HDMI might already be obsolete, depending on which direction they go with HDCP, so this whole HD thing is just a mess for all of us who decided to fork out early on ;).

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Euro model

Piarco75 said:

Is it one model in particular or do they all lack the second HDMI port? You know the 23" only had one to begin with. It has 2 component inputs instead. Do the european models have SCART? They probably dropped the second HDMI port to make room for the SCART port.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
DISCOMUNICATION said:
Is it one model in particular or do they all lack the second HDMI port? You know the 23" only had one to begin with. It has 2 component inputs instead. Do the european models have SCART? They probably dropped the second HDMI port to make room for the SCART port.

Yep - they have SCART. That pretty much explains it then! Huge shame, I really like my existing 26" R41 model, and these looked to be a good upgrade. Still, I may hang on for a while before replacing my main TV with an LCD - may as well wait until there is more HD content available to justify the upgrade. By May there will only be around 5 channels in HD I'd watch, so not really worth rushing out just yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.