Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I searched the forums for an answer to my problem, but I couldn't find one, so I appoligize if this has already been discussed.

Earlier today I bought The Godfather from BestBuy. Now I want to rip it on to my HDD, mostly because I have heard that it consumes less power to watch video from the HDD than from the DVD itself. Also, I don't want to carry around my DVDs with me.

Anyway, so I ripped the DVD using FFmpeg encoder in the MP4 format, with AAC audio, a bitrate of 1064 and a target size of 1.5 GB (I don't know what info is important so I'm throwing it all out there). The bar is full and says 100% encoded. I tried to play the movie in quicktime, but it says it does not recognize the format. I tried using VLC and that didn't work either. I am probably missing a codec, but my check of google wouldn't tell me which codec I need. Any ideas?

It is actually possible that handbrake isn't working properly. It SAYS 100% done, but everything is greyed out except pause and cancel, and when I try to quit it tells me I will loose the encoding. then it won't quit so I had to force quit it...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sounds like Handbrake has screwed up somewhere along the line. Being such an intensive process, particularly on the CPU, this isn't really surprising. I'd try ripping again. Try not to do anything too intensive CPU-wise at the same time, if possible. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
You could try extracting the main feature first with MacTheRipper and ripping from the resulting Video_TS folder. Seems to give good results for me.

You must have patience and let it complete its task. Even when it says 100%, its still churning through whatever temporary file it's written. Don't exit until its done.

Oh and do try to use the 2-pass encoding where possible on Handbrake... single-pass encoding results can be variable (for me at least).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Blue Velvet said:
You must have patience and let it complete its task. Even when it says 100%, its still churning through whatever temporary file it's written. Don't exit until its done.

Excellent point, it often hangs at the end, just as it's finalising the end file. However, I reckon in this case, the ripped file is most probably corrupt by now so I'd just start from the top. :)

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
mad jew said:
Excellent point, it often hangs at the end, just as it's finalising the end file. However, I reckon in this case, the ripped file is most probably corrupt by now so I'd just start from the top. :)

I ripped it again overnight, this time as a .avi file. When I woke up 9 hours later, it still said 100% with everything greyed out, so I quit handbrake and tried the file. It did not work in quicktime, but it did in VLC, so I guess 'm going to stick to .avi from now on. Thanks for your help!

Oh, and what is two pass encoding? Does it result in better video or what?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
Oh, and what is two pass encoding? Does it result in better video or what?

It doesnt really create better quality. It actually reduces the file size even more while still maintaining the same video quality. But it`d also take double time than one pass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.