Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
Morning all

My current set up is that I have a G4 powerbook and an aging windows pc. I will shortly be getting a Mac Mini and my plan is this:

I need to keep the pc for testing my web sites, so I'm happy to have it sitting under the desk, and my monitor has dual inputs so I can view it by flicking between that and the Mini. I'm wondering though, if I buy a bluetooth mouse and keyboard for the new mac, is there some device or switch I can get to control my powerbook (ideally but not essentially), my Mini and my PC on demand?

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
londonweb said:
Morning all

My current set up is that I have a G4 powerbook and an aging windows pc. I will shortly be getting a Mac Mini and my plan is this:

I need to keep the pc for testing my web sites, so I'm happy to have it sitting under the desk, and my monitor has dual inputs so I can view it by flicking between that and the Mini. I'm wondering though, if I buy a bluetooth mouse and keyboard for the new mac, is there some device or switch I can get to control my powerbook (ideally but not essentially), my Mini and my PC on demand?

Get A KVM switch

Your PC should work with the BT Mouse and Keyboard
(See Link)

Link

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=203435

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
london
Thanks, these look good. If I had my powerbook sitting on the desk while using my mac mini with a bluetooth mouse (for instance) would the switch prevent the pb from inadvertently receiving signals from the mouse?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
You don't have to spend any money at all, since you don't need to share video. Download Synergy and set it up (it's easier to have the 'server' on whichever machine you intend to use more). No extra cables, no switching, no bricklike power adapter taking up space. When you move the mouse to the specified side of the screen, it will automatically switch to the other computer over the network.

I've used this to manipulate a bank of 6 workstations from one desk. It's pretty awesome and made lots of people jealous (no fiddling with pushing buttons to switch inputs). Admittedly, a big part of the jealousy was probably due to having six large LCDs on my desk, but still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.