Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Sorry for the stupid question... :eek: I realized that I left my power supply at home in my rush to get to the office on time and my friend offered me his TiBook yoyo supply and I have the PB listed in my sig.

It's a 24V 1.875A (45W) supply just like (I think) the Rev.E power bricks are...Anyone? :eek:

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
If you have a 12" PowerBook, it will work fine. If you have a 15", the battery will need some charge for it to boot the machine. If you have a 17", you're SOL. The aluminum 15" and 17" PowerBooks use a 65W supply, because they need more power than a 45W. A 15" can run on a 45W, but can't cold boot from it (hence the need for some battery power). A 17" however, can't even run on a 45W.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
TLRedhawke said:
If you have a 12" PowerBook, it will work fine. If you have a 15", the battery will need some charge for it to boot the machine. If you have a 17", you're SOL. The aluminum 15" and 17" PowerBooks use a 65W supply, because they need more power than a 45W. A 15" can run on a 45W, but can't cold boot from it (hence the need for some battery power). A 17" however, can't even run on a 45W.

Ouch! I have a 17"... :( Well, here's the thing: It has a fully charged battery right now, so the 45W would just be used to keep it going. Still won't work? I just don't want the battery to run out during the day...I plan on being productive for longer than 4 or 5 hours. :eek: Also, will it damage my PB? Thanks for the fast reply!

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
If the battery is fully charged, then it may work to simply lengthen the life of the battery. You'll likely still notice it drain, however. It won't damage the machine by any means.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
TLRedhawke said:
If the battery is fully charged, then it may work to simply lengthen the life of the battery. You'll likely still notice it drain, however. It won't damage the machine by any means.

Alrighty! Then at least i can keep it alive running on the power supply. I plugged it in just now and it says that it's charging...with 57m to go 'til full charge. As long as it doesn't destroy my beautiful lappy! Thanks again!:)

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
maybe it's *not* compatible...

Hrmmm... Interesting news: I'm pretty sure that when my PB is plugged in using the yoyo something is going on. I have a mighty mouse connected to the lappy with my side (grey) buttons set to open dashboard. Ever so often, (seemingly random) the mouse will make a few little click sounds inside and will cycle in and out of dashboard 3-5 times as if I was pressing the side buttons...but I'm not! :eek: :( I hope it's not the power supply screwing up my computer, 'cause it doesn't seem to happen when it's not plugged in.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
Shouldn't have anything to do with the adapter, as the adapter does nothing but supply power. Seems like a quirky Mighty Mouse. Maybe put it in its cage for a while until it smartens up?

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
TLRedhawke said:
Shouldn't have anything to do with the adapter, as the adapter does nothing but supply power. Seems like a quirky Mighty Mouse. Maybe put it in its cage for a while until it smartens up?

LOL :D Thanks for the reassurance...I guess it's working just fine then...Wow, I'm really protective of this thing! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.