Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I went to update my iPod's library today and iTunes told me there isn't enough free space. :mad: I have the 60 GB model by the way. It's amazing how much space Podcasts can take up! :eek: I better get to cleaning it up.

Anyone else in the same boat as I am?

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
im almost there... between all my music a movie and some podcasts... i have 13 gigs of my 60 left :eek:

They fill up fast...

good excuse to buy another in the future! :D

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
man I started with it full. I got my 20 gig g4 about a year ago and I had about 30 gigs worth of music.
Earily this year I releized I dont even listen to most of my stuff and then only put the play list of music I like to listen 2 which turn out to be only 10 gigs worth of music. other 10 gigs is a moving hard drive now.

That being said best way to get the space back is figure out what you will never listen to on the ipod and just dont put it on there. Put only the playlist you like. Mind you I am dreading when I do fill it up all 20 gigs with stuff I like. Then I will need to buy a larger one :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
My iTunes collection has been bigger than my iPod for some time, but it's only a 15GB model. :eek: But what I have done is use the option to only sync checked songs, and then unchecked enough songs to give me some free space.... Here is one thing you can do that may not hurt your iPod experience much:

Make a smart playlist that contains XXX (maybe 200 or so) songs that have a play count of zero and the oldest add date. Then apple-click (or it may be option click...I can never remember) to unselect all of them. If you select the "only add checked songs" option, then you can keep using this to get rid of as many songs as you want, from the checklist for syncing, until you are happy with the free space. :)

Playlist.jpg

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I have about 645MB left one a 40GB iPod.
I've deselected about 2000 tracks in iTunes, so they don't get transfered.
I've removed another 2000 tracks from the iTunes partition on my HD and I have about 4000 tracks waiting on my Powerbook to be transfered to the the iTunes partition.

I'm waiting for a 100GB+ iPod to be releasted before I upgrade to a new iPod.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Timepass said:
man I started with it full. I got my 20 gig g4 about a year ago and I had about 30 gigs worth of music

same here, its a real pain too as i listen to most of my music, grrr, i would get a 30 gig 5G, except that it'll only take about 27 gigs in real life and i have at present just over 30gigs of music! hopefully we'll see a 40gig ipod soon! that would be puuuurfect (the 60gig seems to big)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I've been over capacity for years on my 30GB 3rd Gen iPod.

I'm waiting for a larger ipod to come out, like 80 or 100GB. Right now I could pretty much fill a 60GB with all my music, video & photos...I want a little room to grow when I upgrade. Never thought we'd be stuck at this 60GB ceiling for so long...

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
mkrishnan said:
My iTunes collection has been bigger than my iPod for some time, but it's only a 15GB model. :eek: But what I have done is use the option to only sync checked songs, and then unchecked enough songs to give me some free space.... Here is one thing you can do that may not hurt your iPod experience much:

Make a smart playlist that contains XXX (maybe 200 or so) songs that have a play count of zero and the oldest add date. Then apple-click (or it may be option click...I can never remember) to unselect all of them. If you select the "only add checked songs" option, then you can keep using this to get rid of as many songs as you want, from the checklist for syncing, until you are happy with the free space. :)

Playlist.jpg

great idea,

i love making highly functional smart playlists like this

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yes. 6gb Mini, 100mb free. Cannot wait for a 60gb, or whatever the next iPods will hold. I need more space now. I'm becoming a music whore, ripping my pops records and that.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
My new Nano only has 2 gigs, and I've never broken 100 songs at a time. I have 4 500meg randomized playlists (which never adds up to 2gig for some reason).

I don't have any data files or photos on it either.

Attachments

• 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 78

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
gammamonk said:
My new Nano only has 2 gigs, and I've never broken 100 songs at a time. I have 4 500meg randomized playlists (which never adds up to 2gig for some reason).

I think that when you say you want a 500MB playlist, it adds songs to it until it gets as close as possible to 500MB without going over. So you're always a little under. So your four playlists don't add up to 2GB, but come out somewhat lower...

Then there's also the issue, to which I don't know the answer, as to whether the MB/GB calculations in smart playlists use factors of 1000 or 1024 for converting between kb/mb/gb.... :rolleyes:

fatandlazy11

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2006
Depends on my mood
heh, i have about 200 songs in my library, and i own a shuffle, with about 200 megs used. I only have 40 or so songs on it, but thats because im very picky when it comes to music. If im looking for music online, and i find an album of a band i like, im not gonna buy the whole album. only the songs i know i will listen to over and over.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2006
sincei got the macbook pro, i've been using my ipod as an external hard drive.

thats about all i use it for right now, but it only has two mores gigs free.......

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Over Achiever said:
Isn't there an overhead for all HDs ... or does it not apply to flash memory? I know my 60 GB drive is actually only 55 or so.

It isn't overhead. The issue is that, by tradition, 1 kb = 1024 bytes in the memory industry, and as far as software is concerned (because 1024 is a power of 2), but 1 kb = 1000 bytes in the storage medium industry. So a 40GB drive has 40 x 10^9 bytes, instead of 40 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes. So the formatted capacity, as reported by the software, is less than the drive holds.

I'm not 100% sure what flash memory does.

But here, I guess, the question is just, how much space do you have left, if any, on your iPod!? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.