Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:43 PM   #1
benjuddeffect
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to benjuddeffect Send a message via Skype™ to benjuddeffect
Can you use an Xbox 360 controller with Half-life 2?

Just curious since we Mac users can now enjoy the gaming goodness...

Thanks for any help.
benjuddeffect is offline   0
Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Dagless
macrumors Core

I think you can use a controller in HL2. I'm sure I've seen the option in there somewhere, or it might have been Doom 3.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Haoshiro
macrumors 68000

I too can't recall if Steam supports controllers but I'm pretty sure they do.

If it does, any controller that works in XP should work fine.
Haoshiro is offline   0
Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:06 PM   #4
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Yep! You'll have to configure it yourself though. Play's better with keyboard & mouse though...
MacRumorUser is offline   0
Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:45 PM   #5
benpatient
macrumors 68000

yes, you can, but why you would want to dumb it down like Halo is beyond me...

i guess if you want to be "pwned" online by everyone and their granny...
benpatient is offline   0
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:24 PM   #6
Dagless
macrumors Core

Aye, you'd be up against people with keyboards and mouse and they are VERY fast. Take me I pwn (grr i hate that) 9/10 deathmatches on Lockdown. With a controller? I'd be crying. Especially with the precision that is the glowing red Rod Gun.

incidentally, IGN (or Ubisoft, forget who) said that it takes 3 seconds to turn around on a console FPS. 3/4 of a second on a keyboard/mouse setup and 1 second for the Rev controller.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:28 PM   #7
JDOG_
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi
incidentally, IGN (or Ubisoft, forget who) said that it takes 3 seconds to turn around on a console FPS. 3/4 of a second on a keyboard/mouse setup and 1 second for the Rev controller.
Depends on the game and the control sensitivity, but it's obviously going to take less time when you can physically track your movement vs. waiting for the controller to "scroll" itself there. Having some sort of free-standing scroll ball in place of the D-pad would make for a nice aftermarket USB gamepad...does such a thing already exist? If so, I'm suprised it hasn't made it console-side yet.

I'm eager to see how Halo 2 is gonna turn out on Vista, and how much that game changes with map editor and mice...should be some interesting mods and maps to look forward to
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Haoshiro
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi
Aye, you'd be up against people with keyboards and mouse and they are VERY fast. Take me I pwn (grr i hate that) 9/10 deathmatches on Lockdown. With a controller? I'd be crying. Especially with the precision that is the glowing red Rod Gun.

Hmm... we should play then sometime... if only there was a UB patch for it! That said, the Fuel Rod Gun and Flamethrower are additions to the computer version that, imo, should not be in the game.

As for those times... hmm.. I highly doubt it takes me much more then a second to turn around in Halo on Xbox, but my sensitivity was always at 8 (3 is default).
Haoshiro is offline   0
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:36 PM   #9
quigleybc
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Skype™ to quigleybc
Damn...I wish I could use a keyboard and mouse like you guys..but I suck without a game pad....

Too used to my X box and decades of consoles...keyboard and mouse feels so foreign and clunky to me.....

I got a logitech controler, (wireless) but halo and other games don't recognize it at all....

So, I had to get an app called Usb Overdrive to get around that...but it's still not the same....

I'm playing Half life 2 on the X box right now...and I still have yet to see what all the hype is about...but it seems to be getting better the further I progress..
quigleybc is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games