Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, some users had expressed concern that Boot Camp installations would void their Mac's warranty and there were scattered reports claiming the same.

Macworld.co.uk reports that Apple has confirmed that installing Boot Camp will not invalidate your Mac's warranty. Being Beta software, however, you do assume any risks involved if you were to lose any data, so be sure to backup your data.

jMini

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
dont get it

surely it wouldnt void your warranty if its released by apple. would be a bit harshe no? :confused:

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
Its rediculous to think that it would void your warranty if it is apple made. Apple wouldnt release anything if there was a risk of it harming the computer.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Well, there is an easier question to that...how would any software void your warranty anyway (apart from overclocking ones, or other stuff that messes directly with your hardware)?

For me, this is just a silly discussion to begin with...not to mention that Apple itself released it...and I don't think anyone has ever been able to claim warranty for lost content or lack of backups...go figure..!

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
BRLawyer said:
Well, there is an easier question to that...how would any software void your warranty anyway (apart from overclocking ones, or other stuff that messes directly with your hardware)?

For me, this is just a silly discussion to begin with...not to mention that Apple itself released it...and I don't think anyone has ever been able to claim warranty for lost content or lack of backups...go figure..!

It does make changes to the EFI I believe, allowing it to emulate a BIOS or something like that, someone care to let me know what it does actually do?

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
Photorun said:
Who in the heck was spreading FUD that it voided the warranty?

Well I haven't posted about it before, but when Boot Camp royally screwed up my computer (I could not get the Windows install CD out of my Mac Mini, and it wouldn't boot up correctly), I called Apple and asked for help. The tech support guy told me "we don't support boot camp" and suggested I take it to an Apple store and have them remove the CD for a fee. This made me very angry because I didn't care about boot camp at that point, I just wanted a functional computer. In the end I just bought a putty knife and opened it up myself. Anyway it might be wise to consider that while Boot Camp might not void the warranty, if something goes wrong while installing Boot Camp Apple isn't too interested in repairing it for free.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
abrooks said:
It does make changes to the EFI I believe, allowing it to emulate a BIOS or something like that, someone care to let me know what it does actually do?
Apple pushed that part into separate (supported!) firmware updates.

Boot Camp does the partitioning and supplies some device drivers.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Oirectine said:
I called Apple and asked for help. The tech support guy told me "we don't support boot camp" and suggested I take it to an Apple store and have them remove the CD for a fee. This made me very angry because I didn't care about boot camp at that point, I just wanted a functional computer.
You had a hardware issue from testing software!

Their lack of help wasn't due to warranty issues, however, but probably because of the beta status of the product. Of course that doesn't make it less annoying.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
Kingsly said:
Nice of them to let us know AFTER the mac community has collectively installed it!
I don't think the 'mac commumity', whatever that is, has installed it - just a few people.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Shamus said:
Apple wouldnt release anything if there was a risk of it harming the computer.

Has it actually been released officially? I thought it was a beta?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
according to you lot turning your mac on probably voids the warranty in some way.

cait-sith

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
canada
Apple gives you the gun to shoot yourself in the foot, but they make you sign a contract saying you won't make them pay your medical bills.

Fair enough. They warn you.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
It worked, and other than the issue that I might want more Mac OS space, I might wanna get rid of windows. And it makes it EASY. so I don't worry.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
This is why I'm not installing Windows on Mac or even touuching an Intel Mac in the first place till Leopard comes out. You guys can be the lab rats instead:cool:

Spinnetti

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
Kentucky
Oirectine said:
Well I haven't posted about it before, but when Boot Camp royally screwed up my computer (I could not get the Windows install CD out of my Mac Mini, and it wouldn't boot up correctly), I called Apple and asked for help. The tech support guy told me "we don't support boot camp" and suggested I take it to an Apple store and have them remove the CD for a fee. This made me very angry because I didn't care about boot camp at that point, I just wanted a functional computer. In the end I just bought a putty knife and opened it up myself. Anyway it might be wise to consider that while Boot Camp might not void the warranty, if something goes wrong while installing Boot Camp Apple isn't too interested in repairing it for free.

A putty knife? You have to be kidding. You can eject the disk using regular ole' key combos - actually hitting the eject key right after the start up 'bong' worked for me.

I was one of the stupid ones too. I didn't backup and lost everything.
I think you found out what I did - YOU MUST HAVE THE CORRECT WINDOWS VERSION! I thought I had sp2, but I guess it was'nt (didn't say on the packaging).. what happened is it overwrote my mac partition, and wouldn't complete the windows install, so now my computer is dead. I'm still hoping to recover data if at all possible, but looks like I get to start from scratch :(

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Photorun said:
Who in the heck was spreading FUD that it voided the warranty?

Idiots on these boards.

Kingsly said:
Nice of them to let us know AFTER the mac community has collectively installed it!

They've never said otherwise, nobody would have any reason to believe this would void the warranty except for a few people spreading misinformation.

cait-sith said:
Apple gives you the gun to shoot yourself in the foot, but they make you sign a contract saying you won't make them pay your medical bills.

Fair enough. They warn you.

How exactly are you going to damage your computer? Worst case, you wipe the drive and reinstall OSX (which is exactly what they tell you). Boot camp is harmless.

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
Why didn't they call it BOOTSCAMP :confused: :eek: :confused:

And have HOT chicky baby talk about how she can't decide which OS she want to run, in a HIGHLY technical way, so NOW she has Bootscamp and run any old OS she WANTS :eek:

Panu

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Virginia suburbs of DC
Why you should have seen Bootcamp coming all along

Everyone was surprised when Apple released the public beta of Bootcamp, but it shouldn't have been a surprise at all.

Look at the option key on the MacBook Pro. It says "alt" above "option." The only reason for labeling it "alt" is if someone runs Windows on it. (Mine was manufactured in early March.) So of course installing Windows doesn't void your warranty. That was part of the original design!

So slap your forehead and say "duh." It was obvious all along and we missed it.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it's always been like that, it's so if you press shift it performs the equivilent of alt on windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.