Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 12, 2006, 05:59 AM   #1
gemlefab
macrumors newbie

Can't access wireless network on my ibook G4!

Having a problem and it's driving me mad.

I have an ibook g4 with built-in airport and a virgin.net broadband connection. I recently bought a compatible Belkin high speed wireless router and followed the instructions for configuring it to the letter.

There is nothing wrong with my airport as I can connect wirelessly to the web using someone else's network and I know that the ibook can 'find' the router as it shows up in the list of networks.

I added the details of my ISP during the configuration of my router, accessing it with 192.168.2.1.

However, if connect to my own network, despite having a full signal, I cannot access the web. WHHHY?

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated!
gemlefab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

I guess 192.168.2.1 is the IP address of the router itself? You don't use that IP address to access your ISP, as it is only usable on a local network.

Basically the router should have 2 IP addressess, the 192.168.x.x one is the local one, and if Virgin give you a fixed IP address you should type that in as the remote one on the router, otherwise you will have a dynamic (Changing) IP address from virgin, this changes each time you connect to the internet, this should be an option in the router configuration.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 06:17 AM   #3
dops7107
macrumors 6502a

Do you have any security settings on the network? I had trouble configuring a G3 iMac to deal with WPA encryption - in fact it just wouldn't work at all. See if you can get it to work with no encryption first, if you suspect that may be the problem.
dops7107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 06:21 PM   #4
dizzyiris
macrumors newbie

might wonna get airpot extreme
dizzyiris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs