Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:43 PM   #1
dmachine
macrumors member

What to do with PowerMac?

I have a PowerMac with the following specs: Power PC G4 400mhz,256MB RAM,30GB Hard Drive,DVD-ROM,Mac OS 9.2.

It is just sitting around collecting dust and I would like to do something with it. How much would I have to put into it to set it up as a server? What all would I need to add and would it be worth it?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

if you live in the uk: sell it to me.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:56 PM   #3
dmachine
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
if you live in the uk: sell it to me.
Sorry I dont live in the UK.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 04:01 PM   #4
aquajet
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmachine
How much would I have to put into it to set it up as a server? What all would I need to add and would it be worth it?
Nothing. You could use it as is, as a light-duty server. Mac OS 9 supports personal file sharing via TCP/IP, so you're all set to use OS X client machines.

If anything, you could upgrade the RAM to 512mb and install Panther or Tiger. This would give you greater stability and flexibility, as OS X supports Windows file sharing.

Whatever you decide, it would serve as an excellent backup computer with OS X installed. PowerMac G4s are still very usable systems, especially the Sawtooth and later models (with AGP).
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs