Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
One of the things I'd like to do on my fancy new MacBook Pro is have it share the Firefox and Thunderbird profile between the OSX and XP install. That way no matter what I'm booted into, I still retain all my shortcuts and email.

I've XP installed on an NTFS partition, but use MacDrive so that I can read the OSX partition. My thought was to set up a custom profile on the OSX and XP side and point it at the same place on the OSX partition.

This seems to work but it's not quite stable. Sometimes you'll get a an exception in Firefox when it launches for the first time after being used in the other OS. Occasionally I get a blue screen under XP from I think MacDrive. Once I even managed to trash my OSX partition, it was unrepairable, and had to rebuild the machine. Now that I know it wasn't a fluke, I haven't pushed it again.

Has anyone else tried to do something like this, any success? I prefer keeping the XP partition NTFS because of the better permissions, but would rebuild it using FAT32 if I know that would make this work better.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
So just for clarification, you actually get it to work?? Your windows firefox sees the bookmarks you store in you mac partition via macdrive, and the email?

i got bookmarks working over a network by using the instructions found here.

Might I suggest you try it by using a memory stick or something, if that works the maybe macdrive is being the difficult one? It could also be the the path convention that is screwing with firefox on you windows side.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
Thanks for that link, I may be able to work with that a bit.

Yes it actually does work. I used the profile manager in Firefox and Thunderbird to point at the same folder on the OSX partition and then copied the contents over from my old profile on my existing PC laptop. The nice part about grabbing the entire profile is that everything comes over not just bookmarks.

I'll try the external drive thing and see if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.