Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:22 PM   #1
ravenvii
macrumors 604

PowerBook 1400cs wouldn't boot...

My PowerBook 1400cs wouldn't boot. I got this under the frowning Mac:

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 F
0 0 0 0 0 0 6 9

Any idea of what it is? Dead harddrive? Or no bootable data? Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Lacnce
Banned

The Mac runs a series of hardware tests when you start up the machine. If these tests fail, you may see the infamous "Sad Mac" icon, hear error tones, or both.

Treatment 1: Check your RAM.
Have you just changed the RAM in your Mac or moved the Mac from one place to another? More often than not, error tones are the result of a RAM module that's not seated properly or that's incompatible with your Mac.

Treatment 2: Check other installed cards.
It's possible that another kind of add-in circuit board is causing the problem. Try reseating any AGP, PCI, PDS, or NuBus cards in your Mac.

Treatment 3: Try a different startup disk.
Although this situation is rare, error tones can occur if your startup drive is under the weather. Try booting your Mac with the System software disk that it shipped with. To start up from this CD, insert it and hold down the C key until the Mac's welcome screen appears. If the C-key trick doesn't work, try pressing Command-Shift-Option-Delete. This key combination tells the Mac to try to boot from a device other than the startup disk.

Treatment 4: Think back.
Have you changed anything since you last used your Mac—added a new PCI card or peripheral, for example? If so, you've found the likely culprit. Undo your recent actions, and try booting your Mac again. If the Mac starts up properly, you'll need to troubleshoot this new acquisition.

Treatment 5: Call Apple.
As I mentioned earlier, a call to Apple may be the right solution when you're otherwise stumped.
Lacnce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 04:10 PM   #3
ravenvii
macrumors 604

I got this computer used, and only got it yesterday, so I have no idea what's been done to it. It cannot be badly seated RAM, since I don't have any expanded RAM installed. I can't call Apple for support on a 10 year old laptop, can I?
Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:47 PM   #4
im_to_hyper
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to im_to_hyper Send a message via Skype™ to im_to_hyper
Hey, if it happens to be something to do with the boot disk I guess try making a 7.5.0 boot floppy from Apple website. If it can boot from there, then everything is cool.

At one point I did indeed add more RAM to it, and then took it out. Does it have 16 or 40MB of RAM?

I happen to have (what I think) is a 32MB RAM expansion card laying around here I could send to you as well if you wanna try plugging that in.

Otherwise, once you get a CD-ROM I have a 9.0.0 install CD I can lend ya to help ya get 'er going again. (If of course this error code is indeed boot disk related.)

Lastly, for $5 I can just send you a 2GB HD pulled from a Wallstreet that will work in there.
im_to_hyper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:07 PM   #5
stolfi1
macrumors member

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 F =Software error like the wrong os installed or something. the 69 one I have no idea on. Basically any error ending in F is software.
stolfi1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:58 PM   #6
im_to_hyper
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to im_to_hyper Send a message via Skype™ to im_to_hyper
The OS must have some sort of boot issue... you want me to send you a SCSI CD-ROM that might work with it + my 9.0.0 disk (loaner) for $8? (Priority Flatrate $7.70)
im_to_hyper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs