Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
More specifically, the quicksilver dual gig versus the new MDD dual 1.25. I am pretty sure the newer one is an overall better machine, but how much better? It is $100 more than a refurb quicksilver and the QS has a superdrive and more ram. Would I notice much of a speed difference between the two? Does cache really make a difference (I do ProTools work, and am anxiously awaiting PT6 for OSX) I also think that with audio number crunching that the DDR and faster bus speeds would help that alot. I am pretty much leaning toward the new MDD, but am wanting to know if there would be any reason to get the older QS refurb.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
If your using the computer for any recording, i have heard the MDD powermacs sound like a harrier jet taking off. Quicksilvers arent that quiet either. The DDR ram isnt much of an issue as most benchmarks show a DP 1 ghz MDD to be the exact same speed as a DP ghz Quicksilver. Of course your dealing with a faster clock speed, but less cache in the MDD. I dont honeslty know how they would compare, but i'd guess slight advantage MDD. The MDD is a better machine, but with the money it takes to bring the MDD to the ram specs of the Quicksilver, and if you plan to add a superdrive, the quicksilver might be a better buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.