Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 4, 2014, 05:06 PM   #1
gquiring
macrumors regular

iPod mini 64gb upgrade success using SD card

I upgraded a 2nd gen iPod mini this week to 64gb. I decided to try a SD to CF adapter card that I got on Amazon from DigiGear. The adapter supports SD XC cards. I used a Transcend 64gb class 10 card. The iPod is working great. The only issue is the write speeds using a SD card are slower than using a CF card. I really don't care that it's slower, I rarely change the content on my iPod.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:18 PM   #2
g4manimac
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info I like to modify iPod minis since they are readily available and easily upgradeable.I usually get them for around $10 or so and put a cf card and a 1300mah battery in it,those things are tanks and I have often wondered about the sd to cf adapter so now I know. My battery last a long time,the battery meter goes to 0% in around 5 hours but sometimes I get 10+ hours after that of constant playtime.
g4manimac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:24 AM   #3
ncc74656m
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4manimac View Post
Thanks for the info I like to modify iPod minis since they are readily available and easily upgradeable.I usually get them for around $10 or so and put a cf card and a 1300mah battery in it,those things are tanks and I have often wondered about the sd to cf adapter so now I know. My battery last a long time,the battery meter goes to 0% in around 5 hours but sometimes I get 10+ hours after that of constant playtime.
Sorry to thread necro, but I can't yet message people. Have you found any problems with this combination giving you ultra-low battery life or anything of the kind? I have one of those 1300mah batteries and a 32GB CF card, and I get like two hours tops, and it seems like there are times when the battery meter rapidly drops off. I've tried two of those batteries, and it does the same thing, so I doubt that's the problem.
ncc74656m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Superman730
macrumors newbie

Type 1 or 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
I upgraded a 2nd gen iPod mini this week to 64gb. I decided to try a SD to CF adapter card that I got on Amazon from DigiGear. The adapter supports SD XC cards. I used a Transcend 64gb class 10 card. The iPod is working great. The only issue is the write speeds using a SD card are slower than using a CF card. I really don't care that it's slower, I rarely change the content on my iPod.
I've been looking into this as well and I can't really find too much info on this part of it: did you use a CF type 1 or type 2 adapter? The type 2 is thicker so I want to make sure before purchasing that it will fit in a mini and I can't really find info on this.
Superman730 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 02:53 PM   #5
gquiring
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman730 View Post
I've been looking into this as well and I can't really find too much info on this part of it: did you use a CF type 1 or type 2 adapter? The type 2 is thicker so I want to make sure before purchasing that it will fit in a mini and I can't really find info on this.
I made a video a while back on my iPod Mini upgrade, it should help answer your questions.

http://blog.qdigi.com/2014/01/ipod-m...b-upgrade.html

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod