Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now in Software Update:
Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Release 4 delivers improved reliability and compatibility for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 on Mac OS X v10.4.5 and later. This release includes J2SE version 1.5.0_06. With this update J2SE 5.0 becomes the preferred Java version, superseding Java 1.4.2.
Additional information can be found in the Apple Knowledge Base.

Java-based applications will run with J2SE 5.0 unless they specifically request Java 1.4.2. To change the default back to version 1.4.2 on a system-wide basis, see the instructions here.

The update can be downloaded via Software Update or directly for Intel or PPC systems.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
No restart is required.

Please post if you are aware of specific Java-based applications or applets that require Java 1.4.2.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The default metal look-and-feel looks much, much different.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 321

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Is NeoOffice okay with this?

Anyone using NeoOffice tried this yet? I know NeoOffice was just updated in the past few months to support Java 1.4 (instead of 1.3); does it run OK with Java 1.5(.0_06-3579;24!3#9$qrp, etc, etc :)).

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
What ever happened to the good ol days when an update meant it came on a floppy disk and there was only one version, all versions of that one version were the same size, and I was sane?
*sigh*...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
thejadedmonkey said:
What ever happened to the good ol days when an update meant it came on a floppy disk and there was only one version, all versions of that one version were the same size, and I was sane?
*sigh*...
They still do that, except that the floppy disks have to be 1.7 miles across, which makes them hard to ship. And reliability is reduced due to the slight curvature of the earth over that distance.

In the case of this Java update, however, it's helpful of Apple to let you download three ways, one download for Intel, one download for PPC, or let Software Update pick the right one for you. Nobody should have to download a huge "universal" update when they only need part of it.

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
39.3MB on my imac G5. I wonder how this works with neooffice (which used to be rather slow)

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Downloaded it. 39.3 MB on my Powermac G5.

So far everythings good. Safari actually does seem to be a little quicker on some usually slow-to-load Myspace pages, but maybe I caught the "it feels snappy" syndrome instead. :rolleyes:

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
I'm not a huge Java expert, but I've heard that Apple's Java support isn't very good. What's your guys' opinion on this?

eSnow

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
mozmac said:
I'm not a huge Java expert, but I've heard that Apple's Java support isn't very good. What's your guys' opinion on this?

You are partly right. Apple's adaptation of Java is top-notch when it comes to the UI. They have been very good at making Java-applications look very much like the native thing - not least because they are actually calling cocoa objects to draw the UI.

Performance-wise, however, the Apple Java just plain sucks. The sun JRE on windows is much faster. This may be due to PPC, to the Mach kernel or whatever, but I have developed on a PIII/500 on windows - and the IDE was about as fast as on my Mac Mini 1.25Ghz under OS X (OK, different IDE's, different Java-versions play into this as well).

Not to mention that Apple is chronically late when it comes to updating Java. They were late with 1.4 which hurt them in the developer community and they are about a year late with Java 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.