Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:38 AM   #1
darkandspiky
macrumors newbie

Wireless USB Dongle for iBook G3 (USB 1)

hi,

i recently bought (and returned) a belkin dongle because i couldn't get it working. belkin told me i had to have version 2 (there are only drivers for version 2 available) and the one i had was another version.

it turns out that with some tweaking and alternative drivers it is possible to get them working. however, i'd prefer not to go to the trouble of doing all this and am now considering a different make of usb dongle. the belkin was rather large as well.

i need it for a white G3 iBook (600mhz) running 10.3.9. obviously the iBook is USB 1, so the dongle would have to be backwards compatible with USB 1. i would like to use it mainly for surfing the web in hotspots and occassionaly with other wireless networks (at work for example).

having done some research i am considering one of the following devices:

ASUS WL-167g

Zyxel AG-225H

I would like to know if anyone has any experience using these devices and in what situations, or knows of any reason why i should or should not purchase either if these dongles.

the following articles and ebay listings were what originally caught my attention:

wireless blog

asus on ebay

zyxel on ebay

it seems that i should be able to get faster connections using USB 1 and these dongles than i would with an internal airport card (original). is that correct?

any help, advice or warning would be appreciated.

thanks,

~darkandspiky~
darkandspiky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs