Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple of reports have claimed that Asustek is the manufacturer for Apple's upcoming 13.3" MacBook.

One reader reports that a search of Asustek's site shows one existing 13.3" Intel laptop model (W6F) that may provide some hints as to what can be expected from Apple's implementation.

The specs for the 13.3" Intel Core Duo laptop from Asus includes:

- Intel Core Duo 1.60GHz-2.16GHz, 2MB On-Die L2 Cache, 667 MHz
- Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset
- On board 512MB, 1x SO-DIMM socket up to 1536 MB (512MB+1024MB)
- 13.3 wide active matrix TFT LCD (WXGA)
- Embedded Intel® 945GM (Video)

Obviously, the form factor will be different, but the overall specs could be similar. It has been felt that Apple will tier the processors available to the MacBook to be less powerful than the MacBook Pro, however, if Apple is positioning the MacBook to also replace the 12" PowerBook, such a limitation may not be necessary. This all remains speculative at this time, however.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Ugh, embedded graphics again...don't do it Apple, please!

The rest of the specs look good though - didn't expect a 2GHz Core Duo (but it makes sense if there will no longer be a 12" pro laptop).

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
There's no way Apple will let the MacBook look anything like that example on the Asus site, IMO.

Mods - the 2nd poster in this thread has a pretty strange name. Is this appropriate for the board?

peanut48

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
is this available in the market? mite get this one itself....am tired of waiting for apple to release the macbook....

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I thought I was going to be first but there seems to be many eager MR readers on here :D

I just hope that Apple's machine does not have this Intel video... ugh. That would be so disappointing. :( It wouldn't be very smart for Apple to do that to the Macbook, because they would be cutting their sales right there... if you wanted an actual video card you would have to spend twice as much on a 15" MacBook Pro and I don't think many would be willing to do that.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Apple will cripple it...

student_trap said:
not a bad machine...i would really like to see a proper graphics card though!
Apple would remove the ExpressCard slot, the modem, not offer the full range of CPU speeds, ....

Apple doesn't believe in "Choice", since they want to up-sell you to the MBP.

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
What the hell...? First Intel in Macs, then Windows on Macs, now Asus makes Macs... Is Apple the new Nike, with making nothing of their own, besides branding? (No, I didn't forget about OS X)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
dr_lha said:
Mods - can someone ban this guy, the offensive nickname is one thing, but all he ever does is post the above.
If you ever want to report a post/user for whatever reason... rather than make a public outcry, click on that angry looking red triangle w/ the exclamation point in it.

Here, I'll even show people, graphically, what icon I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 8,653

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
devilot said:
If you ever want to report a post/user for whatever reason... rather than make a public outcry, click on that angry looking red triangle w/ the exclamation point in it.
Hmm.. I didn't know that. Thanks.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Integrated graphics is what you're gonna get, people, get used to it.

That is a very nice laptop, for a PC laptop, where tacky chrome accents, ports on all sides and a generally bumpy look are de rigeur. Apple's version will probably cost a little more, but remember you're the one who has to look at it every day.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
It will be interesting to see if this new MacBook will be a replacement for the 12" PowerBok or not... I wonder how Apple is planing on structuring their portable line-up...

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Vinnie_vw said:
What the hell...? First Intel in Macs, then Windows on Macs, now Asus makes Macs... Is Apple the new Nike, with making nothing of their own, besides branding? (No, I didn't forget about OS X)
This isn't exactly a new thing.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
AidenShaw said:
Apple would remove the ExpressCard slot, the modem, not offer the full range of CPU speeds, ....

Apple doesn't believe in "Choice", since they want to up-sell you to the MBP.

and it'll work, i only really like smaller laptops, but integrated graphics would definitely bump me up to the MBP

ih8pc

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Wow

If Apple made that I wonder what they were thinking. It look's like one of those really thin sony notebooks. Not an iBook.:mad:

pincho

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Sydney, Australia
omg i thought i read 'Apple's 13.3" Core Duo Laptop' :( :(

im not sure if these specs would be worth it, maybe OS X and the 13.3" screen will.. come on Apple!!

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Vinnie_vw said:

Asus makes some of the highest quality motherboards one can buy. When I built my computer a while back I used them and I was really impressed with their performance.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Vinnie_vw said:

Who cares who makes the hardware for apple? As long as it is built to Apple's specifications, and the quality is high, there is no need to worry...:)

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
So what will this 945GM not be able to do? I mean, I realize there's principle involved, but what games will I not be able to play on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.