Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
hey all,

Before everyone replies with "probably not a good idea to bring an iPod to the beach," the point is that I'll be lifeguarding again this summer - we sit on stands 10 ft above the sand - so I don't mean something I'll be putting on a towel and leaving all alone.

I am looking into getting either a Nano or a shuffle (after recently selling my full capacity iPod for extra money...poor grad student waiting for a full time job). The shuffle would obviously be the smarter choice for beach use, but it is rather annoyingly limited without the screen: I like listening to several podcasts and knowing what song is playing if it's new and I haven't heard it yet. The Nano, then, would be the better choice for combined non-beach and beach use, but I've heard it is ridiculously scratch prone. I guess I haven't ruled out getting a full sized 4G or 5G iPod either, so that's a possibility as well. So, what do you suggest? What good cases for any of these would both be good for the beach and keep out sand for the most part?

The other need is a portable speaker system, specifically one that will take batteries but is still pretty loud. I can pick up large, rechargeable batteries, so that isn't a problem. The main problem is that the beach, believe it or not, is REALLY loud, even when you have speakers near you. So 2W speakers are not strong enough, maybe not even 3W, I'm not really sure. The speakers need to be relatively powerful and be able to use batteries.

Any suggestions on good iPod/speaker systems for this need? Thanks.

sps

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Agreed! The iM7 is excellent - great sound, outstanding bass (SO much better than the Bose SoundDock) and it's portable too. You can actually buy a shoulder harness/carry bag for it.

There is also a new model, the iM9, which is supposed to bridge the gap between the smaller cheaper models and the iM7. Looks-wise I don't find it particularly appealing, but the size makes it even more portable than the iM7... this definitely might be worth considering for your situation, especially if you're going to be carrying it around on a regular basis.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
I use my original InMotion speakers. They work great. Just use regular Alkaline AA-s and not rechargeables though.

mikejames

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
England
I'm a Bose man myself. I can't fault the sound, have owned mine a year and a half and have never had a problem with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.