Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:32 PM   #1
bill4588
macrumors 6502a

Rosetta - G4 speed comparison?

If I'm going to be running programs like iTunes, iChat, Safari, Pages, Acquisition, and watching DVD's would I notice a speed difference between and intel mac and a G4 mac? If so, which would be faster and by how much? Just curious if I should wait until July for the Macbooks (new AI article) or just get an iBook G4 for $800 that will do what I want just fine. And if I get the iBook I'll get a gig of ram to speed it up a bit.
bill4588 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:51 PM   #2
FF_productions
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to FF_productions Send a message via Skype™ to FF_productions
You'd be fine with the iBook, the apps you are running don't appear to be that extreme that you'd need the latest and greatest technology. I would wait a month or 2 though for the new MacBooks, they will be very fast.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Josh396
macrumors 65816

All of the Apps you listed are Universal Binary so they'll be running at full speed, but if those are the only ones you'll be using I'd just the G4. They'll be faster on an Intel Mac but nothing drastic enough to require spending $1000+ on a better machine.
Josh396 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:53 PM   #4
bill4588
macrumors 6502a

thanks FF and Josh. yeah i plan on waiting a month before i make a final decision. If nothing is announced or released by june then my plan is to get the refurb iBook....unless im convinced otherwise lol
bill4588 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:05 PM   #5
disconap
macrumors 68000

I'd agree with above. Unless you plan on buying something you can keep for a long time that will allow you to eventually do more than that. But yeah, as an email machine/portable dvd player, the G4 ibook will last you a good long while, I'd say at least 5 years.
disconap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:01 PM   #6
generik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4588
thanks FF and Josh. yeah i plan on waiting a month before i make a final decision. If nothing is announced or released by june then my plan is to get the refurb iBook....unless im convinced otherwise lol
Getting the refurb ibook doesn't make sense.

It is exactly like threathening to spend money buying stocks Apple is trying to clear if they don't release anything new! For all you know they may even postpone launch dates just to sucker that one extra sale (yours!)
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 04:45 AM   #7
student_trap
macrumors 68000

yeah just go with the ibook, it'll do all that you need. remember also, that when the new macbooks come out, they will most likely be placed at higher price points than the current ibook lineup.
student_trap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:07 AM   #8
crdean1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crdean1
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_trap
yeah just go with the ibook, it'll do all that you need. remember also, that when the new macbooks come out, they will most likely be placed at higher price points than the current ibook lineup.
I disagree, for instance, I bought my G4 1.67 pb in Feb. 05. It was about $2400.00. A year later, the MBP's came out, and they are priced a bit better (for a faster computer with better technology, not to mention the iSight, for which I paid $140.00). Apple improves their technology greatly, but will keep the new version the same price or even lower. I think the ibooks down as they have improved, haven't they??

So, I would wait for a widescreen ibook, and it might even have a brighter screen for those dvds.
crdean1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:34 AM   #9
Dr.Gargoyle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4588
If I'm going to be running programs like iTunes, iChat, Safari, Pages, Acquisition, and watching DVD's would I notice a speed difference between and intel mac and a G4 mac? If so, which would be faster and by how much? Just curious if I should wait until July for the Macbooks (new AI article) or just get an iBook G4 for $800 that will do what I want just fine. And if I get the iBook I'll get a gig of ram to speed it up a bit.
As always, it all depends on when you need the computer and what your minimum requirements are. If you need it now, buy an iBook. If you can wait buy the MacBook. Regardless whether you only use low CPU/GPU intense apps right now, you might choose to do so within the lifespann of the computer. No matter what all people tell you, the MacBook will be MUCH faster and the PPC code is a dying duck. period.
Moreover, you are more likely to get a better price for your MacBook when you eventually will trade it than what you will get for an iBook. Don't get wrong, I love the iBook (I have a 12'' myself). I use mine professionaly (I am in research) for Keynote and basic app (firefox, mail, word,...) when I am on the road. I love the sturdyness and the battery life of the machine. I could pick and choose which machine I wanted and I went for the iBook just because the its robustness and batt life. With my requirements the iBook was a better option than the PB, not considering the PB is 50% more money.
That being said, I would NOT buy the iBook today if I could wait a couple of months.

Last edited by Dr.Gargoyle; Apr 21, 2006 at 07:39 AM.
Dr.Gargoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs