Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
If I'm going to be running programs like iTunes, iChat, Safari, Pages, Acquisition, and watching DVD's would I notice a speed difference between and intel mac and a G4 mac? If so, which would be faster and by how much? Just curious if I should wait until July for the Macbooks (new AI article) or just get an iBook G4 for $800 that will do what I want just fine. And if I get the iBook I'll get a gig of ram to speed it up a bit.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
You'd be fine with the iBook, the apps you are running don't appear to be that extreme that you'd need the latest and greatest technology. I would wait a month or 2 though for the new MacBooks, they will be very fast.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
All of the Apps you listed are Universal Binary so they'll be running at full speed, but if those are the only ones you'll be using I'd just the G4. They'll be faster on an Intel Mac but nothing drastic enough to require spending $1000+ on a better machine.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
thanks FF and Josh. yeah i plan on waiting a month before i make a final decision. If nothing is announced or released by june then my plan is to get the refurb iBook....unless im convinced otherwise lol

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I'd agree with above. Unless you plan on buying something you can keep for a long time that will allow you to eventually do more than that. But yeah, as an email machine/portable dvd player, the G4 ibook will last you a good long while, I'd say at least 5 years.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
bill4588 said:
thanks FF and Josh. yeah i plan on waiting a month before i make a final decision. If nothing is announced or released by june then my plan is to get the refurb iBook....unless im convinced otherwise lol

Getting the refurb ibook doesn't make sense.

It is exactly like threathening to spend money buying stocks Apple is trying to clear if they don't release anything new! For all you know they may even postpone launch dates just to sucker that one extra sale (yours!) :D

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
yeah just go with the ibook, it'll do all that you need. remember also, that when the new macbooks come out, they will most likely be placed at higher price points than the current ibook lineup.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
student_trap said:
yeah just go with the ibook, it'll do all that you need. remember also, that when the new macbooks come out, they will most likely be placed at higher price points than the current ibook lineup.

I disagree, for instance, I bought my G4 1.67 pb in Feb. 05. It was about $2400.00. A year later, the MBP's came out, and they are priced a bit better (for a faster computer with better technology, not to mention the iSight, for which I paid $140.00). Apple improves their technology greatly, but will keep the new version the same price or even lower. I think the ibooks down as they have improved, haven't they??

So, I would wait for a widescreen ibook, and it might even have a brighter screen for those dvds.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
bill4588 said:
If I'm going to be running programs like iTunes, iChat, Safari, Pages, Acquisition, and watching DVD's would I notice a speed difference between and intel mac and a G4 mac? If so, which would be faster and by how much? Just curious if I should wait until July for the Macbooks (new AI article) or just get an iBook G4 for $800 that will do what I want just fine. And if I get the iBook I'll get a gig of ram to speed it up a bit.
As always, it all depends on when you need the computer and what your minimum requirements are. If you need it now, buy an iBook. If you can wait buy the MacBook. Regardless whether you only use low CPU/GPU intense apps right now, you might choose to do so within the lifespann of the computer. No matter what all people tell you, the MacBook will be MUCH faster and the PPC code is a dying duck. period.
Moreover, you are more likely to get a better price for your MacBook when you eventually will trade it than what you will get for an iBook. Don't get wrong, I love the iBook (I have a 12'' myself). I use mine professionaly (I am in research) for Keynote and basic app (firefox, mail, word,...) when I am on the road. I love the sturdyness and the battery life of the machine. I could pick and choose which machine I wanted and I went for the iBook just because the its robustness and batt life. With my requirements the iBook was a better option than the PB, not considering the PB is 50% more money.
That being said, I would NOT buy the iBook today if I could wait a couple of months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.