Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fardogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Hey, my buddy accidently left his iPod shuffle on a magnet and he belives he's erased it and completely screwed over the thing. I'm trying to connect it to my ibook right now, but I cannot get it to register on my computer, thus I can not run system update for it nor softoware reward, Any tips or hints please?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
The iPod shuffle uses flash memory, which isn't affected by magnets. Hard drives can be damaged by a magnet, but flash is not magnetic at all. I'd say that whatever the problem with his shuffle is, it has nothing to do with putting it near a magnet.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
wonga1127 said:
Hard drives can only be damaged by strong magnets. Think about it, how could any magnet harm them if theres one in the hard drive?

You are correct. I just didn't want to get any more in-depth/technical than I did. I will tell you that I know from personal experience (not just speculation) that hard drives can in fact be damaged by strong magnets. They're just not as easily damaged as many people believe.

Fardogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
regardless

ok regarless of the magnet then the ipod still isn;'t working, I want to try to figure out how to fix it, be it through restoring the shuffle or otherwise, but when i go to iod software restore it recognizes that an ipod is conected, but does not recognize t he actual ipod.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Fardogg said:
ok regarless of the magnet then the ipod still isn;'t working, I want to try to figure out how to fix it, be it through restoring the shuffle or otherwise, but when i go to iod software restore it recognizes that an ipod is conected, but does not recognize t he actual ipod.

I've never had an iPod go bad on me, so I'm not speaking from practical experience, just throwing out some ideas. I would open up Disk Utility (Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility) with the iPod connected. You should see it in the list on the left hand side. Click on it, and then select Erase over on the right hand side. For Volume Format, select MS-DOS Filesystem then type a name and hit erase. After you've done that, the Shuffle should at least mount and show up on your Desktop. Then you should be able to run the iPod Restorer on it. Good luck.

Fardogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
no worky

god suggestion friend, but unfortunately when I run disk utility the shuffle does not appear on the left hand side of the page. Which is really off because the ipod itself recognizes its connected, its blinking orange right now while in the computer but there is no effect on the desktop in disk utility or anything. So I'm still stumped, thanks anyways. Luckily my friend's warranty is still good, I just wanted to see if I could fix it for him before he sent it in.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Did you try plugging it into another usb port? Seems simple, but it happened to me and it suddenly worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.