Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:15 PM   #1
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Red-Black Trees

I have to implement a red-black tree in C++ for a project, but I don't know much about red-black trees. I've been trying to do my research for a few days now, but I still feel pretty lost.

1. Here is what I know:
a. They are binary trees.
b. Every node is either red or black.
c. The root is black.
d. Every path from the root to a leaf contains the same number of black nodes.
e. Red nodes can only have black children.
f. Every leaf is NULL and black.

2. Are this properties correct? Are there any other properties that I need to know?

3. I'm assuming it is more common to use an array rather than pointers. Is this true?

4. What make a node red or black? And what advantage do I get out of having red and black nodes.

5. Anyone know of any good sites with good examples?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

Introductions to Algorithms has a whole chapter (13) dedicated to Red-Black threes, but I'm afraid I cannot type in those 30 pages here...

Maybe they have the book at your local public library. They don't provide code, but even better, the algorithm in a very easy-to-understand notation.

I don't think we ever implemented the algorithm in either of my C++ or Java courses...

Edit: On the other hand, Google is a friend, as ever: http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~weiss/dsaa_c++/code/
Old Apr 22, 2006, 04:49 PM   #3
cait-sith
macrumors regular

Is this for a university course?
"`The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
cait-sith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 05:08 PM   #4
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
Introductions to Algorithms has a whole chapter (13) dedicated to Red-Black threes, but I'm afraid I cannot type in those 30 pages here...

Maybe they have the book at your local public library. They don't provide code, but even better, the algorithm in a very easy-to-understand notation.

I don't think we ever implemented the algorithm in either of my C++ or Java courses...

Edit: On the other hand, Google is a friend, as ever: http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~weiss/dsaa_c++/code/
I have some books (none with very good examples). I'm having trouble just understanding the concept, let alone the code. Thank you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cait-sith
Is this for a university course?
Yep.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:37 PM   #5
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911
I have some books (none with very good examples). I'm having trouble just understanding the concept, let alone the code. Thank you though.
Well, that's the brilliant thing about the above mentioned Algorithm book. It explains how the trees work, in detail, with illustrations...
Old Apr 23, 2006, 03:30 AM   #6
Voidness
macrumors 6502a

When I had an assignment to implement an AVL Tree last semester, I found this Java applet to be helpful in understanding the concept. It also has a mode for Red-Black Trees, which I didn't study:

http://webpages.ull.es/users/jriera/...e%20applet.htm

Also, Wikipedia has a detailed entry for Red-Black Trees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-black_tree

Hope this helps.

Just curious, which language are you using? I used C++ with my AVL tree.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:16 PM   #7
superbovine
macrumors 68030

http://www.ddj.com/184410531

one of the containers in the STL is a red-black tree (if remember right), anyway if you dig around you can probably find a good example from the stl.
superbovine is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming