Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:58 PM   #26
blunti
macrumors 6502

i have 5 domains with godaddy, have 2 different hosting plans ( 1 in their European datacenters the other one is in the US datacenter), no problems what-so-ever.
blunti is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:41 PM   #27
jtara
macrumors 65816

Don't use the same company as your registrar and host. It gives one company too much power over your valuable assets.

I use moniker.com for domain registration. They are in the same ballpark as most other low-cost registrars, they have a UI that is well-suited to those with mutliple domains, and they are completely professional. While they've gone through a series of acquisitions, I haven't seen their professionalism impacted.

For hosting, there are so many choices there is no point in trying to suggest one. For one, needs vary widely. I use a VPS at Linode myself.

I also use third-party DNS. I prefer not to rely on either the registrar or host for DNS. I use dnsmadeeasy. Again, these are valuable assets, and it is wise not to concentrate control with one vendor. As well, most registrars and hosts don't provide very good DNS service. dnsmadeasy (and similar companies) provide DNS servers located world-wide with AnyCast routing to the nearest server.

In each case, with these companies you are getting near-Enterprise level technology and support on a budget. Far superior to GoDaddy. Seek out similar companies.

If you are trying to save a dollar or two, you will experience a huge degradation in reliability and service vs. what little you save. Can you get GoDaddy on the phone? I can get each one of these companies on the phone when I need them. And I have - every one of them, and been completly satisfied.

You could also pay a WHOLE lot more to the top-tier companies (Network Solutions, etc.), and then THEY will call YOU! (Whether you want them to or not, LOL.)

Last edited by jtara; Oct 3, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:26 PM   #28
bronxred
macrumors member

Go away, GoDaddy!

I'm a GoDaddy hater too. Had nothing but trouble when working with them, and my aunt whose site I was building blamed it all on me, understandably. The hoops they made us jump through to leave were incredible.

But I love Dreamhost. Have been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind. They have all the usual "unlimited" stuff and a great control panel, and one-click installs of WordPress and other CMS options.

Jake

Last edited by OllyW; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: removed referral link
bronxred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:36 PM   #29
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxred View Post
I'm a GoDaddy hater too. Had nothing but trouble when working with them, and my aunt whose site I was building blamed it all on me, understandably. The hoops they made us jump through to leave were incredible.

But I love Dreamhost. Have been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind. They have all the usual "unlimited" stuff and a great control panel, and one-click installs of WordPress and other CMS options.

Jake

Are you working for dreamhost? You have made 11 post just today advertising them.

BTW, no complaints about godaddy here, but I haven't needed their help with anything. No issues with my sites, no issues with FTP, and no issues with their customer service.

Last edited by OllyW; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: url removed
ericrwalker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:27 AM   #30
macmesser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Kern View Post
I concur... GoDaddy. I have 6 domains there and they host a site for me. Never a lick of trouble, and the tech support treats you like you invested a million bucks.
True about the tech support. They'll walk you through stuff and explain it. "An educated consumer is their best customer."
macmesser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:13 AM   #31
Ricardo Main
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skills View Post
Hello,

I'm looking for a place which will buy/rent me a .com domain name and rent be some space on the web. Nothing too fancy, but preferably cheap and uncomplicated (and UK based, if you think that makes a difference).

I'm completely bamboozled by all of the sites that come up when I google web hosting. Can someone recommend somewhere?

Thanks!
I would suggest you buy from Namecheap and Domainka, I have bought a domain from these sites and I am satisfied with their service and assistance.
Ricardo Main is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:32 PM   #32
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
Okay, guess I'll be the first to speak out against Go Daddy. Their ads are shameless and they try to upsell you for every stupid little thing.
You'll also spend lots of time digging through the cruft on their site trying to find what should take only a few clicks. To make matters worse, they are constantly moving things around. GD is cheap however.

I'm currently with by Bluehost and have been fairly happy.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:03 AM   #33
dma550
macrumors 6502

godaddy for names, but never for other services.
dma550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:10 AM   #34
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

I bought mine at godaddy. The only annoying thing about Godaddy is sales people calls you like crazy.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:53 AM   #35
ericrwalker
Banned

I complained to them a couple if years ago about that when they called me, they've never called again. I've made several purchases from them since then and never a phone call. I do receive a large amount of emails from them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
I bought mine at godaddy. The only annoying thing about Godaddy is sales people calls you like crazy.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:53 PM   #36
MacSignal
macrumors regular

NameCheap has worked well for me.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:28 PM   #37
atomoboy
macrumors member

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a place which will buy/rent me a .com domain name and rent be some space on the web. Nothing too fancy, but preferably cheap and uncomplicated (and UK based, if you think that makes a difference).

I'm completely bamboozled by all of the sites that come up when I google web hosting. Can someone recommend somewhere?

Thanks!
I've used Network Solutions and GoDaddy and really prefer GoDaddy. Much cheaper, great support and if are buying in bulk, they have discount programs to save you more $$
atomoboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:09 PM   #38
dolphin842
macrumors 65816

I currently use Gandi and Hover for domain names. Both include whois privacy by default and don't play the upselling game. Also, of relevance to US residents, GoDaddy was originally a supporter of SOPA, but by that time I had already moved away from them.
dolphin842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:02 AM   #39
Doma Ining
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
I recommend you buy from Namecheap and DomainKa, I am very much satisfied with their service and assistance.
Doma Ining is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:31 AM   #40
Randy McKown
macrumors member

I manage domains at Godaddy because there's always an active coupon to get $1.50 dot coms. I don't host there though. I use Hostgator for that.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:15 AM   #41
donnybwoy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theappleguy View Post
If you are having a good experience with GoDaddy, that's great, but heavy oversellers (ie. cheapo hosts) tend to have so many other restrictions in place that in the end most webmasters would rather spend a bit extra and get decent hosting.
Godaddy go go go..
donnybwoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:37 PM   #42
giraffle
macrumors newbie

Another vote for...

Hover and Moniker both have interfaces suited to managing an ever-growing number of domains.

Hover is my current favorite because the enable WHOIS privacy by default and don't charge you extra for it plus it's super easy to find coupon codes for. Save yourself a dollar or two every time.
giraffle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:11 PM   #43
Lasay1950
macrumors newbie

BestCheapDomainName is where its at!

Guys GoDaddy is WAYY to expensive at least for me. A great host/registrar I've used in the past is: www.bestcheapdomainname.com
Lasay1950 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 08:28 AM   #44
ElectronGuru
macrumors 6502a

Hostway is solid

Xtar VP1 VP2

Last edited by ElectronGuru; May 30, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
ElectronGuru is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development