Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
It seems nowadays the internet wouldn't be the internet if it didn't have donation sites asking people for money so they can buy things. Now it seems there is one just to get someone a new Intel iMac to switch.

http://switch.watchmactv.com/

It's so annoying, basically he's complaining about having an old computer, working full time, and not being able to buy it. It's rediculous. My take: If you want a new computer so badly, don't be an lazy schmuck and go try to hold down a second job! It's not everyone's responsibility to buy things for you! This is a grown kid.

ugh :mad:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I don't think it's that bad of an idea, I mean he's made $711.21 in a very short time.

I think he just needs to realize that it's gonna take him a while - not just a couple days or whatever.

And, I think he should pay for some of it, I mean, come on! Eh, never know.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, he did manage to raise a lot of money by doing this. While I don't agree with this sort of thing, he's definitely hitting his goal and you can't really argue with that.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
lilstewart said:
I don't think it's that bad of an idea, I mean he's made $711.21 in a very short time.

A good start to be sure. :)

lilstewart said:
I think he just needs to realize that it's gonna take him a while - not just a couple days or whatever.

True, he can not expect to get a new Mac for free overnight. :rolleyes:

lilstewart said:
And, I think he should pay for some of it, I mean, come on! Eh, never know.

I agree, he should pay for some of it. But if people give him enough money, then he just got a free Mac- which is quite cool! :)

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
I personally wouldn't donate to this guy because I don't agree with what he's doing. Others may feel differently and could reason it that he has the "initiative" to find the money any way possible. But this, to me, is only higher class street begging.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mikemodena said:
I personally wouldn't donate to this guy because I don't agree with what he's doing. Others may feel differently and could reason it that he has the "initiative" to find the money any way possible.

No, I would not/will not donate to him either based on similar grounds. :eek:

mikemodena said:
But this, to me, is only higher class street begging.

Good point, I guess that he is only practicing a slightly higher form of begging. But if it works..... ;) :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mikemodena said:
But this, to me, is only higher class street begging.
I think I heard a statistic that the average panhandler makes $40,000 a year; average, which means some make a lot less, but some make a lot more. :eek: Even more depressing? I think a lot of teachers make $40K for their salaries. :eek:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
devilot said:
I think I heard a statistic that the average panhandler makes $40,000 a year; average, which means some make a lot less, but some make a lot more. :eek: Even more depressing? I think a lot of teachers make $40K for their salaries. :eek:

Wow, that is quite a sad statisitic. :(

Of course, teachers can practice street begging during the summer and boost their income to $80,000. ;) :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Abstract said:
^^Are you saying that some of these "beggars" are begging on the streets during the day, and driving home in their Toyota Corollas at night? :eek:

Some of them probably do. :eek: :eek:

But there are some street beggars who are in honest need of alms. :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
dmw007 said:
But there are some street beggars who are in honest need of alms. :)
I completely agree. But... sometimes, money isn't the best thing you can give someone. Offer to buy a warm coat or a nice meal. Ya know?

And people who just say, "Why don't they just go to a shelter?" Really have no clue. What few possessions someone might have will most likely be stolen from another person there. They have a very limited amount of time available, and really no personal space or privacy. There just aren't enough shelters and resources for all the homeless and and underprivleged.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
All i know is the i am a fulltime college student (read as pay for college myself) Have a damn girlfriend to buy things for (curse her) work fulltime, and still managed to buy my powerbook, powermac, 20" monitor, two iPods, and a boatload of accessories. Plus all that anime i love :p

Partly because i was originally working two jobs got enough money for the things then realized second job was cutting into study time so i got rid of it and just work at hospital now.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I don't give homeless people money. I'll buy them mcdonalds and bring it back to them occasionally, but I won't give money that could be going off to drug habits or something of the like.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
calebjohnston said:
I don't give homeless people money. I'll buy them mcdonalds and bring it back to them occasionally, but I won't give money that could be going off to drug habits or something of the like.

so your the one giving the homeless heart diseases from high cholesterol T_T

:p I once gave a woman 20 bucks for a bus ride home because her car broke down and her cell phone died.

Even if it wasn't true made me feel good to give her 20 bucks for her smack habit.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
devilot said:

I don't think thats true. Thats over $110 dollars per day. Most panhandlers make a couple dollars per day tops, in my area anyways.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I'm just going to comment on the original post and say what a shame. I can see donation sites for worthwhile things, such as expensive life-saving surgery, charities, help groups and what-not. But a computer? Dude, work some OT and buy the fracking thing yourself...don't beg for loot. Then again I have pride and would never lower myself to that level for a product of any sort, no matter how badly I wanted it. Things are so much better when you earn them.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
eva01 said:
so your the one giving the homeless heart diseases from high cholesterol T_T

But it is better than giving money so they can buy drugs or booze, right? ;) :)
Although, in the right quantities, all three are deadly... :rolleyes: :)

eva01 said:
Even if it wasn't true made me feel good to give her 20 bucks for her smack habit.

True. Sometimes its the thought and kind act of charity that counts. :)

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
who cares what this person does with their time. if he can get the money for free then kudoz b/c thats just what we would all want for ourselves

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
jadekitty24 said:
I'm just going to comment on the original post and say what a shame. I can see donation sites for worthwhile things, such as expensive life-saving surgery, charities, help groups and what-not. But a computer? Dude, work some OT and buy the fracking thing yourself...don't beg for loot. Then again I have pride and would never lower myself to that level for a product of any sort, no matter how badly I wanted it. Things are so much better when you earn them.
my point exactly. I just don't see justification of preying off the money of stupid people. I mean it's there money but it's still pretty damn low to do that.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
Koodauw said:
I don't think thats true. Thats over $110 dollars per day. Most panhandlers make a couple dollars per day tops, in my area anyways.

I used to give an old man panhandler in Little 5 Points, Atlanta a few bucks everytime i saw him...

Then one day i was standing in criminal records and he came in... walked up to the cash register and asked the guy to give him 20's for all his ones...

He had around $400... and that was from that day... ;)

i asked the cashier if he came in often and he said yup... everyday...

I never gave him another dollar after that... :eek:

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
dmw007 said:
True. Sometimes its the thought and kind act of charity that counts. :)

All i know is that I am happy that i am helping someone kill themselves so they stop taking away my oxygen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.