Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Hello. What would the best recommendation be for an (Ideally freeware/shareware as this is for non commercial use) application that can edit audio (strip out pauses etc at the start / end). I am converting over old records and tapes and will then export to DVD a "best copy" and a AAC copy for Itunes/IPOD.

I have tried Audacity (little user unfriendly but seems powerful) but I really want the ability to hear where one is cutting, i.e. go backwards slightly and hear (backwards audio) until one hits the edit point. An ability to say "in and out" points would be good before one "cuts to them". The waveform (?) was also good but I found it fiddly. The ability to have both audio confirmation AND seeing the waveform with very precise cutting would be good.

Any other suggestions ? Thanks !

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Amadeus II is pretty good.
It has the added bonus of being able to clean up pop and clicks from vinyl recording.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
I do a lot of vinyl conversions to my Mac.

There are a ton of ways to do it, but I like my method because I have a lot of control, and I can in some cases, increase the quality.

I use Audio Hijack Pro to record the incoming signal.

And within Audio Hijack, you can use plug in's. So, I'll use an EQ to adjust the levels, and Sound Soap 2 to get rid of the crackles and in extreme cases Hiss...

and sometimes I will add the PSP vintage warmer plug in to "warm" up the sound.

I'll record everything as an AIFF, and rip it into iTunes as a 320 MP3, or Apple lossless.
Not the cheapest method, but a good one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.