Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:29 PM   #1
ero87
macrumors 65816

metronome in garageband

I despise the metronome in garageband, as it always begins to tick as i start to record something.

Does anyone know a way to turn it off FOR GOOD? so that it doesn't turn on for every new song?
ero87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:48 PM   #2
VanNess
macrumors 6502a

Deselect it in the control menu or command-u (toggles on and off)
Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:52 PM   #3
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNess
Deselect it in the control menu or command-u (toggles on and off)
Unfortunately, that doesn't deselect it FOR GOOD, which is what the original poster was asking. It's only deselects it for the current project. I haven't found a way to start a new project and have the metronome turned off by default.
dejo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 03:00 PM   #4
VanNess
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
Unfortunately, that doesn't deselect it FOR GOOD, which is what the original poster was asking. It's only deselects it for the current project. I haven't found a way to start a new project and have the metronome turned off by default.
You can start a new song ('My Song") and do nothing but deselect the metronome. Save it. You can use that as your new song template, so next new project, just open the template instead of opening a new project and then change, tempo, key, etc.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:37 AM   #5
dejo

Quote:
You can start a new song ('My Song") and do nothing but deselect the metronome. Save it. You can use that as your new song template, so next new project, just open the template instead of opening a new project and then change, tempo, key, etc.
Sure, that'll work but it's not very Apple-esque. I think a better solution would be for them to add a metronome setting to the GarageBand preferences.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:27 PM   #6
decksnap
macrumors 68030

Mine don't default to having the metronome. I suppose it's because I shut it off at one point. New projects don't have it.

EDIT: OK. I'm a jackass. Apparently they do. Hmmm.

Last edited by decksnap; Apr 26, 2006 at 09:25 PM.
decksnap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:24 PM   #7
VanNess
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
Sure, that'll work but it's not very Apple-esque. I think a better solution would be for them to add a metronome setting to the GarageBand preferences.
Depends on how many users would actually benefit from that. I would suspect most musicians would prefer to have it as an on/off toggle the way it is now, and novices especially should be using it when recording live performance tracks.

I don't have GB3, so I don't know how the metronome feature is used in recording Podcasts, but I couldn't imagine why you would need a metronome to record a radio-like show. But for musicians, it's a different story.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:35 PM   #8
dejo

Quote:
Depends on how many users would actually benefit from that. I would suspect most musicians would prefer to have it as an on/off toggle the way it is now, and novices especially should be using it when recording live performance tracks.
But by having it as a preference setting, those musicians that should use it can choose to leave it on (and that can be the initial default; I'm fine with that). Those musicians who are recording tracks with their own time-keeper (a percussion section, for example) or with varied tempos, etc. can choose to have it off by default. I think that's reasonable.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:39 PM   #9
dapsito
macrumors newbie

Record the click on one channel

Well, i like using the metronome, but you guys know a way of saving the metronome on one side? or even manipulate it where it only sounds on one channel either L or R?

Thanks!
dapsito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:12 PM   #10
ThatGuy199113
macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with the metronome as well. If the situation is that you, on the same track your having problems with, were recording with the metronome on; then have tried to deselect it but it still plays. then its not the metronome, its the recording of the metronome. try muting everything and see if the metronome still ticks.

ThtGuy
ThatGuy199113 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store