Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:39 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Universal Shake Shipping in May

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif

Macworld.co.uk reports that the Universal version of Shake was discussed at the National Association of Broadcasters conference.

Quote:
Kirk Paulsen, senior director of pro applications marketing, demonstrated Apple’s high-end digital compositing software running on an Intel Duo Core iMac. This, admitted Paulsen, is not something that could have been done with the PowerPC iMac.
According to Paulsen with these high end applications processors are no longer the bottleneck, but instead the hard drive. Shake 4.1 will natively support Intel Macs and will be shipping in May.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:42 PM   #2
Chundles
macrumors G4

Shake. On an iMac. Now that, is very, very cool.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:42 PM   #3
phatpat88
macrumors member

Quote:
According to Paulsen with these high end applications processors are no longer the bottleneck, but instead the hard drive.
In other news, shares of western digital went up 2.22%

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=WDC

I wonder if there is a connection here?

Raptor 150's are going to become even more popular in a Striped RAID setup
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:43 PM   #4
amateurmacfreak
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to amateurmacfreak
Cool... although I don't know too much about the software, nice to have another one going universal.
The possibilities of Intel.
And it looks like a cool software.
amateurmacfreak is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:47 PM   #5
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurmacfreak
Cool... although I don't know too much about the software, nice to have another one going universal.
The possibilities of Intel.
And it looks like a cool software.
i agree. can only be good news
twoodcc is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:51 PM   #6
Qdub
macrumors newbie

The fact that the harddrive is the limiting factor could say some things about the speeds of the harddrives in the upcoming Intel Power Macs.
Qdub is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:54 PM   #7
kskill
macrumors member

what is shake?

What exactly is Shake? 3D graphics generators?

Last edited by kskill; Apr 25, 2006 at 11:59 PM.
kskill is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:58 PM   #8
boncellis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdub
The fact that the harddrive is the limiting factor could say some things about the speeds of the harddrives in the upcoming Intel Power Macs.
It could also shed some light on the future of Firewire 800 in Apple's new machines. Was it serendipity or did Apple know something about hard drive speeds being the source of potential bottlenecks that gave them the foresight to keep it in the 17" MBP when it was eliminated from the 15"?

Maybe it will stick around a while longer.
boncellis is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:08 AM   #9
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskill
i'm still am confused between shake and motion? I think shake its more like computer graphics (CGI)
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:09 AM   #10
calli2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hi Kskill,

This is my first post -- so please forgive me if it appears to be in the wrong format or something!

Kskill -- I just wondered if you ever got an answer to your question? I, too, am curious about what "Shake" is...?

Thanks,

calli2
calli2 is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:11 AM   #11
vmardian
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Why not look it up?

http://www.apple.com/shake/
vmardian is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:13 AM   #12
vmardian
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boncellis
It could also shed some light on the future of Firewire 800 in Apple's new machines. Was it serendipity or did Apple know something about hard drive speeds being the source of potential bottlenecks that gave them the foresight to keep it in the 17" MBP when it was eliminated from the 15"?
As far as I know, FW800 requires an extra chip, and there was no room for this in the 15".
vmardian is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:13 AM   #13
200paul
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193
i'm still am confused between shake and motion? I think shake its more like computer graphics (CGI)
Shake does compositing = like you have live elements, effects, mattes etc and they all need to go together.

Motion does titles etc = Titles and 2D or 3D text elements that are a sometimes are a tenth of the entire program
200paul is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:18 AM   #14
vmardian
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatpat88
In other news, shares of western digital went up 2.22%

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=WDC

I wonder if there is a connection here?
Absolutely not.
vmardian is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:21 AM   #15
Lollypop
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lollypop Send a message via MSN to Lollypop Send a message via Yahoo to Lollypop Send a message via Skype™ to Lollypop
Still not really sure what shake does, but eitherway, more universal is very good! Lot of the high end intel chipsets have raid built in, wonder if the new mac pros might not come with raid then?
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:31 AM   #16
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif

...with these high end applications processors are no longer the bottleneck, but instead the hard drive.
Hate to be a grammar snob, but this sentence is confusing. It sounds like you're saying that processors are now hard drives, not bottlenecks.

Edit to: ...with these high end applications, processors are no longer the bottleneck; instead, hard drives are the bottleneck.

Or something like that.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:37 AM   #17
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by boncellis

Maybe it will stick around a while longer.
Who needs Firewire 800 when you have dual channel eSata? eSata is SO much faster!

How does a sustained write of 146MB/s on a MBP grab you?

http://www.barefeats.com/hard71.html
firestarter is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:43 AM   #18
ifjake
macrumors 6502a

is SCSI still the superior (if more expensive) hard drive interface? if hard drives are becoming more and more the bottleneck, i wonder if Apple will opt to use SCSI and the new faster perpendicular disks that can really take advantage of it in their intel power[but not]macs. i'm ready for Apple to release a workstation that really just owns. if not SCSI maybe something like SATA II. i'm not really sure how SCSI and SATA II compare or what the difference is.

i'm just conjecturing with little else than wikipedia as my resource. who out there actually knows about this stuff?
ifjake is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:00 AM   #19
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

RAM disk

Do you all remember in mac os 9 in below you could turn part of the RAM into a hard disk? I must admit I don't know what the purpose of it was ---but makes me wonder if RAM used as a hard disk would be faster than a physical hard disk?
swingerofbirch is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:00 AM   #20
Kingsly
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebomberman
Hate to be a grammar snob, but this sentence is confusing. It sounds like you're saying that processors are now hard drives, not bottlenecks.

Edit to: ...with these high end applications, processors are no longer the bottleneck; instead, hard drives are the bottleneck.

Or something like that.
Yeah, I thought they were saying that the processor is the hard drive too.

I am looking forward to shake on something other than a quad. If only I could afford it!
Kingsly is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:04 AM   #21
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifjake
is SCSI still the superior (if more expensive) hard drive interface? if hard drives are becoming more and more the bottleneck, i wonder if Apple will opt to use SCSI and the new faster perpendicular disks that can really take advantage of it in their intel power[but not]macs. i'm ready for Apple to release a workstation that really just owns. if not SCSI maybe something like SATA II. i'm not really sure how SCSI and SATA II compare or what the difference is.

i'm just conjecturing with little else than wikipedia as my resource. who out there actually knows about this stuff?
Oh man, please, no more ultra-expensive, proprietary, poorly-supported interfaces! One thing that compelled me to switch to Mac was its adoption of quality standard interfaces like USB 2.0 and DVI. A return to emphasis on SCSI gives me flashbacks to the silly days of SCSI Zip drives.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:11 AM   #22
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch
Do you all remember in mac os 9 in below you could turn part of the RAM into a hard disk? I must admit I don't know what the purpose of it was ---but makes me wonder if RAM used as a hard disk would be faster than a physical hard disk?
Yes, without question. But you'd need a TON of RAM to make it useful for video and graphics editing.

There's some talk of replacing hard drives (which tend to slow things down and waste more energy as mechanical devices) with varying forms of memory chips, such as flash memory or MRAM. Flash memory will probably see limited use in laptops, while MRAM is years away from affordable commerical use.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:12 AM   #23
danielwsmithee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Oh man, please, no more ultra-expensive, proprietary, poorly-supported interfaces! One thing that compelled me to switch to Mac was its adoption of quality standard interfaces like USB 2.0 and DVI. A return to emphasis on SCSI gives me flashbacks to the silly days of SCSI Zip drives.
I agree completely. From everything I have read SATA is still much faster then the actual drives using it. I think the best thing you could do now is a raid 0 striped array with WD raptor HDs. I may be wrong though.

Some day flash based storage, or MRAM could be used but that is a long ways off.
danielwsmithee is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:26 AM   #24
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwsmithee
I agree completely. From everything I have read SATA is still much faster then the actual drives using it. I think the best thing you could do now is a raid 0 striped array with WD raptor HDs. I may be wrong though.

Some day flash based storage, or MRAM could be used but that is a long ways off.
I did a bit of poking around the web. Alienware does have some insane 10,000 & 15,000 RPM SCSI drives for their servers (but NOT their desktops). Perhaps future Xserves will have SCSI options?
Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:26 AM   #25
richinspace
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Or something like that.
Good point Bluebomberman. I had to read the sentence three times before I gave up.
richinspace is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)