Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
I use the following command to link my C++ source code to the apple implementation of CLAPACK:

g++ -o code code.cpp -framework veclib

but what is a framework?

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
vgoklani said:
I use the following command to link my C++ source code to the apple implementation of CLAPACK:

g++ -o code code.cpp -framework veclib

but what is a framework?

I don't know the dictionary definition, but a framework is usually a collection of libraries and the headers that declare the interfaces.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think a framework, at least on some level, is comparable to a Windows DLL, or dynamically linked library. Such a library exists as only one copy in memory, at least for the code segment of it, as opposed to statically linked libraries which are copied with every applicatioin that uses it. Though DLLs aren't completely better, they tend to be as you can update the DLLs and all programs depending on them see the benefit without any recompiling/relinking.

So when you include NSObject.h in a file and compile, linking to the Foundation framework, you are just using the copy of NSObject.c already in memory instead of making another copy.

Maybe a framework is completely different, hehe, but at least you know what a DLL is. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.